High speed weave/wobble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jstets

Reaction score
Hello all I have a 2005 max that I have recently noticed starts to produce a weaving motion that isn't bad and feels almost normal when I get up above 100 but as I approach and pass 130 the weave is quite developed and almost feels like the bars want to start tank slapping on me. I roll off throttle and the weaving wobble will slowly settle and disappear once I get back down around 90. I'm running avon storm radials and have a 17" aftermarket rear rim, progressive fork springs and stock suspension on the rear with them set at 3 and 2 on the dampner I weigh about 190. Also I have an aftermarket fork brace, I know these frames flex especially at high speeds and hard acceleration and I plan on getting frame braces soon. Does this sound like just the max being a max or some deeper issue. I've already tightened my head bearing per Sean morleys video.

My experience is worn tires cause much high speed instability. You have radials so that should help. Let's face it, the bike doesn't have aero qualities at those speeds, and being bolt upright and a big guy at triple digits can induce all sorts of issues in stability. You might try experimenting with the rear shock settings. I think many who spend time at the speeds you're doing see better handling from a good set of shocks. Also, a 'death grip' on the handlebars can cause instability at triple digit speeds.

Hello all I have a 2005 max that I have recently noticed starts to produce a weaving motion that isn't bad and feels almost normal when I get up above 100 but as I approach and pass 130 the weave is quite developed and almost feels like the bars want to start tank slapping on me. I roll off throttle and the weaving wobble will slowly settle and disappear once I get back down around 90. I'm running avon storm radials and have a 17" aftermarket rear rim, progressive fork springs and stock suspension on the rear with them set at 3 and 2 on the dampner I weigh about 190. Also I have an aftermarket fork brace, I know these frames flex especially at high speeds and hard acceleration and I plan on getting frame braces soon. Does this sound like just the max being a max or some deeper issue. I've already tightened my head bearing per Sean morleys video.
On my 05 I always do the Morley thing every riding season, very exactly, and I never have a problem, However, I never take my 05 over 100mph, for the reasons you stated, and I like to live. :)

I installed Progressive fork springs on my 95 and they helped my high speed stability tremendously.

Sounds like a tire or wheel problem. Lift both ends up one at a time and rotate wheels by hand and check if everything is round. Check for excess bearing play in the Tees. Check rear fork for sideways play.

Last edited:
My front steering wobble was caused by a rear tire. New tire- no more wobble.

Back