Hindle evolution

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've been running a full hindle system I picked up used for the summer. I like the deep rumble at idle and low rpm, however, it seems to get a bit raspy at 5k rpm and up. I haven't run into any other vmaxes so I can only compare to my stock setup before. Could it just be the packing has worn out? No clue how many miles on this exhaust. Is it just the tone of most vmaxes at higher rpm? Looking for opinions..

On the hindle website they seem to have introduced the "Evolution" cans, does anyone have experience with these? I think the black one would look great.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
So I've been running a full hindle system I picked up used for the summer. I like the deep rumble at idle and low rpm, however, it seems to get a bit raspy at 5k rpm and up. I haven't run into any other vmaxes so I can only compare to my stock setup before. Could it just be the packing has worn out? No clue how many miles on this exhaust. Is it just the tone of most vmaxes at higher rpm? Looking for opinions..

On the hindle website they seem to have introduced the "Evolution" cans, does anyone have experience with these? I think the black one would look great.

Take it apart & have a look. Most times, that requires drilling out pop rivets to free the end cap & replacing them. Get the proper fiberglas packing, as standard fiberglas will deteriorate/blow-out quickly. Check in the dirtbike section at your local shop. A couple of turns of masking tape around the packing will help keep it located while you re-install the wrapped baffle.

You can also fab your own can to give you the characteristics you want, or mod an existing one. Cans are expensive, buying a new replacement. The new can does have more of a modern sportbike look than an '80's round aluminum cylinder.

Attachments

• IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1473.jpg
    IMG_1473.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1470.jpg
    IMG_1470.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 48

I'm running dual 14" evolutions on my Gen 2. They sound pretty much as you're describing, deep down low but more raspy as the revs build, and they're brand new. One thing I have found is that longer cans are almost always deeper in tone and shorter ones are more harsh sounding. Kerkers have always sounded the best to me on a VMax.

This is probably not a good comparison or much help, but here is a video where you can here the sound of my exhaust (plays best on a PC with speakers and sub woofer)

Mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbl9Hye4gnM

thanks for the replies. Despite the obvious difference between our bikes I still notice similarities in the exhaust notes. Nice bike btw. I'm sold on the stainless evolution that thing is beautiful. I took a peek into my hindle can last night with a flashlight and could see the baffle near the inlet looks like its bent inwards or simply falling apart. I'm going to drill the rivets and check it out this weekend, I'll have to buy a riveter as well (no welder). Worst case is I ruin my can and have an excuse to run straight pipes until a new one arrives :)

Well I had nothing better to do today so I drilled out the end cap rivets and pulled the old packing out. There was lots missing near the inlet.. I picked up a riveter and the last bag of exhaust packing from Canadian Tire. Took a pole and jammed the whole bag of packing into the can, used a bit of hi temp silicone on the end cap and riveted it back together. Much deeper tone now, and the raspy sound is completely gone at 5-6k+. Even more noticeable was the increase in torque and speed...i must have been down a lot of HP this summer! I didn't think the bike would feel this good after a simple repack. The muffler was used so a new shiny one will come eventually, but for 20 bucks it feels like a new bike and I'm happy for a while :)

I have an 18" Carbon Fibe Hindle on the 4-2-1 stainless. It is a Stealth baffle. So it is choked a bit from 2" down to 1 3/4" just before the end cap/outlet. I mated a DJ Stage 7 with individual K+N's on my '06. I also have a 14" Carbon Fib baffle with the Super Sport 2" all the way through.
The 18" has a really nice low end rumble the 14" can't match in my opinion. The 14" seems to be more "whiny" at idle and just above. Midrange, I can't decide which I like better. Maybe I'm paying more attention to holding on as the ponies build.
I will say this though, the 14" is much louder up in the revs. It's not as loud as my brothers Kerker Race baffle (the one you're almost able to stuff coke cans into the outlet) but the Hindle 14 is nice and loud and to me sounds better than the 18" on the top end.

Back