Hindle exhaust system

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

355cid

Reaction score
I just bought a '86 with a Hindle 4 into 1 exhaust system on it and I was wondering if anybody else a set-up like that and what tuning it took if any to get the most outta it. It sounds great but I had to address a segment problem so I havn't been able to ride it and the guy I bought it from didn't know if the carbs had been tuned to the system or not. Thanks for any input. :ummm:

I ran across (what I will call a “series one Hindle”) this past spring on a customer’s bike, never saw one like it before. While investigating I found out that Hindle made two types of 4/1 pipes systems for the V-max Their first production release was this “series one Hindle” & had a production run for a few years, then they started to produce the one we see today on V-maxes with the longer canister, more of a side mount, etc. All I can say is with a stage seven this “series one” was very easy to setup, ran great & sounded even better. If I could just get my hands on a good “series one” I would be a happy camper!

:biglaugh: 1st series I belive, sounds good,makes good power(they say) but the over under design makes it kinda low.Tuning,couldnt tell you a thing about what jet kits the best ,I dont have any..............................yet!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 77
How does the bike run? Is your segment problem sorted now?

Give the carbs a good sync (5mns job with a vacuum gauge) and ride it. If it pulls great all the way through the rpm range, you don't need to touch it!

If you really want to know if it was tuned to the exhaust, you'll need to remove your carbs to get to the main jets and check their sizes. Full instructions with pix are in the carb/tuning section.

I called the "series 1" a big tube hindle. Collector size is 2.5" vs 2.25". Sound and flow were for sure better.

This system has the 2 1/4" collector. Hindle musta downsized for more midrange torque maybe. Still havn't ridden it yet, the parts for the segment issue will be here early next week. I'm gonna drop the oil pan today and see what tales that has to tell and hopefully recover the missing shift drum pin along one of the bend tabs on the clutch hub nut lock washer. I Googled Hindle exhaust and checked out this system. The guy I bought the bike from said the system goes for $1400.00 which I found hard to believe, but retail on it is $1150.00 with the aluminum muffler mine has on it. Can't wait to put on the road.:th_image003:

I've got a borrowed one (thanks sean) on my bike right now. Sounds pretty good. The cans cut down to around 12".

Muscle jet kit
Stg 7 springs
Drilled slides
Stock PAJ
Stg 7 needles on 4th clip (from point) no shims
155 mains
Open vboost all the time (controller is broken)
1200' elevation

runs good, no popping, no hesitation, mileage a bit low though

Attachments

• DSC04648.JPG
    DSC04648.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 54
Not sure if the "Holeshot" 4-1 and the "Hindle" are similar, or the same. But mine also has the 2.25" collector.
Current tune - Runs like raped ape :)
K-N Pods
Stg 7 springs
Drilled slides
1 over Stock PAJ
Main Air Corrector's
Stock needles w/3shims(.060")
157.5 mains
Air Screws at 3.5 turns out
V-Boost overide

Previous tune was with stock air box and K-N Filter - Ran Great :)
Stock Springs
Stock PAJ
Stock Needles w/2shims(.040")
152.5 mains
Air Screws at 2.5 turns out
V-Boost overide

I'm at around 1000' elevation

Back