Hip replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I am (and a knee), had mine done twenty three years ago and no issues with riding.
Anything else you want to know?

I had my hip replaced in Sept. and again in Oct. due to a Staph Infection with MRSA . Cost me 12 additional days in isolation and lost 35 lbs. Couldn't eat hardly anything. + 90 days now of drip and pill antibiotics and physical therapy at home. Lost a lot of strength and just now beginning to think I can ride again as long as I don't drop it and have to pick it up off the ground.

Mom had some head surgery and the MRSA was no fun for her. Long time in the hospital.

I had my hip replaced in Sept. and again in Oct. due to a Staph Infection with MRSA . Cost me 12 additional days in isolation and lost 35 lbs. Couldn't eat hardly anything. + 90 days now of drip and pill antibiotics and physical therapy at home. Lost a lot of strength and just now beginning to think I can ride again as long as I don't drop it and have to pick it up off the ground.

Damn, that sounds like a rough time. Best wishes to you to get back to 100% ASAP.

Doesn't sound like a good idea. Ask a few doctors. I has tooth implant, for a year everything was ok, right now something inflammed inside and very painfull.

16 days out from the replacement and all is going well. Walked better out of surgery than I have in a year. Before the surgery I would carry a fold up cane when I rode the max. Got to where I had to keep my leg out on the crash bar. Now I am in the pt process building range of motion and strength. I start the max once a week and let it run until it gets hot. Had to do that for three months once on a wound pump. No problems when the pump came off my back and took it for a ride.

Great to hear.... keep getting better!

My buddy had a hip done a couple years ago, and he can kick-start his Shovelhead he's owned since new. Since it also has an 'electric foot,' I always tell him, "let the thumb button do the work."

He has done very-well with his replacement. Sounds like yours is OK too, good!

Thanks to you all I will keep you posted great day they are pulling the staples!

Had my left hip replaced 10-23-2018 & right hip replaced 11-13-2018. Both were the anterior (front side). I'm back working out (squatting & deadlifting) minimal weight compared to what I used to do. Based upon my experience, the first couple of rides were interesting in that the movement of feet from the foot pegs to the ground and back up required a focused effort and the mind trusting the movement without the prior pain. If I may recommend, start out slow. I would sit on mine in the garage and work back and forth from the kickstand to center position to get the feel. Using the rear wheel stand, I would practice lifting and lowering my feet from the pegs to the ground. Even now, every once in a while, I will get a "twinge" in the right hip during riding and have to rely on the left leg to do most of the work at the stop lights and such. An item that I've been working on is to get back to doing the exercises that I did during physical therapy. These exercises and their movements seem to help with the overall healing/strengthening process very well. If you have any other questions please let me know. Based upon my research and experience, there is minimal information out there from people who have had the procedure done. I'm glad to provide my experience information if it helps anyone. One last item, as my doctor says - "you can do anything you want now - remember that if you break them, you'll have to pay me to fix them".

Pt has a lot to do with it. I am gaining range of motion and strength back quickly. According to the docs it will take three months to strengthen the joint so the muscle encapsulates the prosthesis. No lifting over 10 pounds during that time. Supposed to maintain and not exceed the 90 degree plane on the hip for three months. Not much over 90 and a pain spike will let you know real quick to back off. I will definitely follow that starting out advice you have given. Meanwhile I will mix startron and gas and be limited to warming up the motor and shutting it down. Thank you!

Good for you. Sounds to me that you are back to full strength if you can handle the weight of a vmax, long may it continue. The wonders of modern medical science.

I'm glad to-see your improvements, may it continue. The same goes for the other guys who've had operations.

My buddy who also had the surgery about-whom I wrote, in post #13 (lucky 13!) just announced that as-of Oct. 1st, he was retiring from his HVAC business he's operated since his mid 20's. Now he has no-excuses about getting to-work on his two iron-barrelled Sportsters, one is a right-shift, one is a left-shift. They're apart, he's been collecting parts for both of 'em for decades. He also owns a 1980 Low Rider he bought new, it's what he rides during our annual trips to Bike Week in Daytona Beach.

Even though he apparently can kick-start the Big Twin w/o issue, post-operation, it make me cringe to see him do-it.

Latest posts

Back