History of motorcycle radial tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
A very interesting article. See what multiple time world champion Freddy Spencer has to say about the importance of radial motorcycle tires.
https://rideapart.com/articles/history-radial-motorcycle-tires

According to the article 1987 is claimed as the first year of available to the public motorcycle radials. They came stock on my 1987 Yamaha FZR 1000.

Spencer said: “The introduction of the radial tire was the most important innovation of my career. A rider needs grip, feedback and longevity and the radial represented a real improvement in all three areas."

“The first thing I noticed about the radial was that it gave me much better grip and stability when cornering rapidly. I could re-accelerate sooner, which I always tried to do when racing.”

Ed. note: I consider radial tires to be the best handling improvement you can make to a VMax.

Ed. note: I consider radial tires to be the best handling improvement you can make to a VMax.
+1, I've never regretted the radial mod. The ride itself is very much improved even if you aren't a corner carver. The grip is superior to bias plys. Though bias ply tires have come a long way themselves.

The change from bias to radial on my Vmax was pretty dramatic. The handling improvement and better ride once I adjusted the shocks and forks properly made the bike a joy to ride.

Radials do completely change (for the better) the feel and manners of the Vmax.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

This is what I’m looking forward to. The busa wheels are going to give the look I want, but handling is my biggest benefit out of this. Kind of jealous of the guys running radials at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I’m looking forward to. The busa wheels are going to give the look I want, but handling is my biggest benefit out of this. Kind of jealous of the guys running radials at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget to to post up some pics when they go on. Busa wheels are nice.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back