Hmf

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Reaction score
Took the bike out for the second ride so far this season. At a stop light a guy in a cage sitting next to me rolled his window down and asked about the pipes, "those stock?" he asks. After explaining they were not he asked for a rev. I obliged with a quick snap of the throttle. Got a thumbs up and a "nice" as the light turned green.

HMF / 4-2 / round carbon fiber cans and ballance tips. This bike is as much fun to see and hear as it is to ride...

Jason said:
Took the bike out for the second ride so far this season. At a stop light a guy in a cage sitting next to me rolled his window down and asked about the pipes, "those stock?" he asks. After explaining they were not he asked for a rev. I obliged with a quick snap of the throttle. Got a thumbs up and a "nice" as the light turned green.

HMF / 4-2 / round carbon fiber cans and ballance tips. This bike is as much fun to see and hear as it is to ride...
Jason,Do you have stage 7?I do not know why but it will sound even meaner with the jet kit.I had my pipes before putting in the jet kit.I have the same system with the polished cans.Its not as deep sounding as the carbon but still sounds real good.It sounds just like a built small block chevy through open headers. Shawn

Jason said:

We need pics now!!!:D Post them up here.
I'll load up some of my Kerker. It would be a good way to compare pipes.

Buster Hymen said:
We need pics now!!!:D Post them up here.
I'll load up some of my Kerker. It would be a good way to compare pipes.
Buster,your bike in the avatar looks like it has a madmax sidewinder on it.

shawn kloker said:
Jason,Do you have stage 7?I do not know why but it will sound even meaner with the jet kit.I had my pipes before putting in the jet kit.I have the same system with the polished cans.Its not as deep sounding as the carbon but still sounds real good.It sounds just like a built small block chevy through open headers. Shawn

Yeah, I put the Stage 7 on with the pipes. I left the v-boost intact, stock springs/slides, DJ needles/jets, and added a t-boost switch for 3k boost. I'm getting pretty good gas milage @ 40mpg +/- depending. I'm thinking of having it dyno'd this year just for fun and check my carb tuning. I may be a hair lean...

shawn kloker said:
Buster,your bike in the avatar looks like it has a madmax sidewinder on it.
Is that what they are? I found these pics of a fairly wild VMax so I used it as an avatar. I've attached some more pictures of it to this post.

Attachments

• DSC02386.jpg
    DSC02386.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC02387.jpg
    DSC02387.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC02388.jpg
    DSC02388.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 68
Buster Hymen said:
Is that what they are? I found these pics of a fairly wild VMax so I used it as an avatar. I've attached some more pictures of it to this post.
Those might not be sidewinders but they are alot like them.A freind of mine has them on his chrome vmax.They sound really good but they are hard on pantlegs.

Jason said:
Yeah, I put the Stage 7 on with the pipes. I left the v-boost intact, stock springs/slides, DJ needles/jets, and added a t-boost switch for 3k boost. I'm getting pretty good gas milage @ 40mpg +/- depending. I'm thinking of having it dyno'd this year just for fun and check my carb tuning. I may be a hair lean...
Jason,I definately recommend losing the tboost,put in the cut springs and drill your slides.unplug your vboost in the open position after sync'n the carbs.155 mikuni mains.I am actually removing my vboost servo and butterflies to run the eliminater tubes for more flow.
You are losing alot of throttle response with stock springs and slides.You are not getting the loping idle with vboost closed.I love how mine runs this way. Shawn

shawn kloker said:
Jason,I definately recommend losing the tboost,put in the cut springs and drill your slides.unplug your vboost in the open position after sync'n the carbs.155 mikuni mains.I am actually removing my vboost servo and butterflies to run the eliminater tubes for more flow.
You are losing alot of throttle response with stock springs and slides.You are not getting the loping idle with vboost closed.I love how mine runs this way. Shawn

Being a rookie with the carbs I was wary about drilling the slides, though I am considering it again. I'm not too keen on the idea of having to buy new slides if I don't like the results and I'm not sure what to expect.

I really don't mind the throttle response the way it is. I mostly cruise around and make a little noise now and again. About the only time I see speed in excess of 100mph is passing traffic once in a while on a country road catching up to the pack. My riding pack consists of Harleys, Indians, Intruders, and a couple Yamahas of other various makes. A pretty mellow bunch, they are.

I will definitely try unplugging the vboost this weekend.

Thanks!

Jason said:
Being a rookie with the carbs I was wary about drilling the slides, though I am considering it again. I'm not too keen on the idea of having to buy new slides if I don't like the results and I'm not sure what to expect.

I really don't mind the throttle response the way it is. I mostly cruise around and make a little noise now and again. About the only time I see speed in excess of 100mph is passing traffic once in a while on a country road catching up to the pack. My riding pack consists of Harleys, Indians, Intruders, and a couple Yamahas of other various makes. A pretty mellow bunch, they are.

I will definitely try unplugging the vboost this weekend.

Thanks!
Jason,The holes can be jb welded if needed but I don't think you would want to get back if you get it set up right.When I rev mine it jumps right up and right back to idle,right now.No lag time.When I hit wide open throttle I can barely shift fast enough to keep up to the motor,1st,2nd,3rd.The shorter springs and bigger slide holes alow it to rev way quicker than stock. Shawn

I have Cobra Slash Cuts on mine. But my uncle has the UFO exhaust on it. As far as Im concenred its the best looking and probably the best sounding Max exhaust. He has a Stage 7 kit too

I guess I got in on the middle of this discussion. What sort of mods/accessories accompany this carb slide Mod? I have a stock motor, and it sounds like I would enjoy the type of throttle response you're describing...

Eazrider said:
I guess I got in on the middle of this discussion. What sort of mods/accessories accompany this carb slide Mod? I have a stock motor, and it sounds like I would enjoy the type of throttle response you're describing...

Eazrider,

I am running an aftermarket HMF exhaust http://www.hmfengineering.com.
Not much info that I have found on their site though. I purchased mine through Tucker Rocky. Others have bought them from Blue Ridge Mountain SportMax: http://www.rmsportmax.com under the alias of "2D9S".

To try and maximize my performance increase with the new exhaust I also purchased a Dynojet Stage 7 carb kit http://www.dynojet.com. Part of the Stage 7 installation instructions is to drill the slides and replace the stock springs with supplied tools/parts. I opted to skip that part at the time but am going to give it a go tonight or tomorrow and complete the steps.

I do not know how modifying the slides and springs would effect a stock carburetor and exhaust setup. Maybe someone else could chime in on that one...

Hey Jason,
Keep the set up you got if the bike is running good. Using the stage seven springs and drilling the slides is okay if you only want to do 1/4 mile drags but in the real world of riding it just makes the bike skitish every time you bump the throttle and is just to touchy IMO.
Also keeping the vboost operational is good. It idles better and you still get that kick a 6,000 rpm. After all isn't that is what owning a vmax is all about :)
Dan

Needing something to puts with this evening I pulled out some of my old mics and recording equipment and made a stereo mix of my pipes. The mics are old and of different makes so the L/R are a bit off in quality. I don't think I've heard a stereo exhaust mix online before:Shocked: Thought it might be interesting to hear any differences after I sync and adjust the carb setup tomorrow. Here is a link to the mp3 file:

http://home.comcast.net/~ljfrantz/HMF1.mp3

It's raw and a bit long as I was tinkering around during the rec. Thought it might be fun to share, though. In seven years I've never used my comcast account to host a file so lemme know if the link doesn't work...

<Edit> this mp3 is with stock slides, springs, & t-boost...

Last edited:
Eazrider said:
Opening up the exhaust headers is the first step before a stage 7 jet kit.The stock headers are too small in diameter to flow the additional fuel and exhaust.Look at one of your rear headers under the covers,They are way smaller than the front ones look like.The front headers are double walled and look way bigger than they really are.It keeps the chrome from blueing. Shawn

Jason said:
Eazrider,

I am running an aftermarket HMF exhaust http://www.hmfengineering.com.
Not much info that I have found on their site though. I purchased mine through Tucker Rocky. Others have bought them from Blue Ridge Mountain SportMax: http://www.rmsportmax.com under the alias of "2D9S".

To try and maximize my performance increase with the new exhaust I also purchased a Dynojet Stage 7 carb kit http://www.dynojet.com. Part of the Stage 7 installation instructions is to drill the slides and replace the stock springs with supplied tools/parts. I opted to skip that part at the time but am going to give it a go tonight or tomorrow and complete the steps.

I do not know how modifying the slides and springs would effect a stock carburetor and exhaust setup. Maybe someone else could chime in on that one...
Jason,drilling the slides and changing the springs will not affect the carb settings it will only allow it to respond quicker for its needs(more fuel and air).Make sure you do a good carb sync before your done.Most people do not understand how easy they are to knock out of sync.Slamming the throttle fully open too hard can do it.Anyone with a max should know how to sync it themselves,Most have a dealer do it once every year or two.I use mercury sticks but I am also removing my vboost servo and butterflies So I need to get a synchrometer since I can no longer isolate #1from 2 or 3from 4 without the butterflies but it is supposed to flow more air and fuel without them in the way. Shawn

I have a kerker 4-1 Exhaust on a stock bike, stock airbox, stock filter. Joe Raulf at Boxenstopp told me to go to 165 mains. Everyone else said either Mikuni 155 or 157.5. I asked Joe if he was talking about Dynojet or mikuni, he said mikuni 165. So I went home to look at my plugs. With shimmed stock needles and 157.5 main jets, I have white plugs after 3 weeks of riding. So, I bought adjustable needles and richened the midrange-wow, major gas mileage drop to 33mpg. Even though plugs looked lean before, maybe they weren't? Anyway, I got off track there, just wanted to say my kerker (I'm running the 2.5 inch competition baffle) sounds awesome! I absolutely love it! It was obnoxious at first, but I got used to it. Now it's just loud.

DJ

Jason said:
Needing something to puts with this evening I pulled out some of my old mics and recording equipment and made a stereo mix of my pipes. The mics are old and of different makes so the L/R are a bit off in quality. I don't think I've heard a stereo exhaust mix online before:Shocked: Thought it might be interesting to hear any differences after I sync and adjust the carb setup tomorrow. Here is a link to the mp3 file:

http://home.comcast.net/~ljfrantz/HMF1.mp3

It's raw and a bit long as I was tinkering around during the rec. Thought it might be fun to share, though. In seven years I've never used my comcast account to host a file so lemme know if the link doesn't work...

<Edit> this mp3 is with stock slides, springs, & t-boost...
Jason, can you clarify what is needed to record the pipes on the Max? What type of microphone, what type of recorder and how to get the sound on the Net like you did. Would appreciate all the info you can give. TIA

mikemax04 said:
Jason, can you clarify what is needed to record the pipes on the Max? What type of microphone, what type of recorder and how to get the sound on the Net like you did. Would appreciate all the info you can give. TIA

What I did was probably overkill but it's all I had to work with. I pulled out some old guitar and stereo gear. All stuff I had laying around, nothing fancy, and went something like this:

1 - cheapie microphone from radio shack
1 - fairly decent sure microphone
2 - microphone boom stands (the kind that pivot in the middle)
1 - old Onkyo cassette deck that has two 1/4" mic inputs w/input level on the front for left/right. Probably find one like it at a pawn shop cheap.

I folded the boom stands in half getting the mics near the exhaust outlet. I found I had to be just above and behind the outlet to prevent the exhaust wind from hitting the mics directly. Else, all you'd get was popping on the mic diaphragm. Then adjusted the mic levels on the Onkyo as to not distort when revving the engine.

After recording I put the RCA L/R out from the back of the Onkyo into a stereo RCA to stereo 1/8" phono plug converter from radio shack. This then went into the 1/8" line in of my PC sound card.

I used the free Audacity recorder http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ (really nice program by the way) to record the output of the Onkyo to my hard drive and convert it to mp3.

I'm sure there are ways much less involved to do this. But, like I said, it was all stuff I had laying around and thought it would be interesting to have a stereo recording. I'd like to hook up something portable so I could take it through the gears down the road. I'm not sure how to deal with the wind noise though. I like some of the vmax riding videos on the net, really cool, but most if not all loose the sound to wind @ 60mph.

I'll think on it...

Back