Hmmm,what are my choices for shocks?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
Im cheap...but resourceful. SOOOO,lets get creative!

I want some better rear shocks and Ive been TOLD that the rears off an old GS1100 will fit but I wanna know my options.

I really want coil overs like the ones you find on Ebay for $150 but word has it they are weak and Ill bottum out easier.

NO I AM NOT SPENDING THE $500 FOR OHLINS,sorry just cant afford it.

So whats fairly cheap and will still make a little difference in handling?:ummm:

Im cheap...but resourceful. SOOOO,lets get creative!

I want some better rear shocks and Ive been TOLD that the rears off an old GS1100 will fit but I wanna know my options.

I really want coil overs like the ones you find on Ebay for $150 but word has it they are weak and Ill bottum out easier.

NO I AM NOT SPENDING THE $500 FOR OHLINS,sorry just cant afford it.

So whats fairly cheap and will still make a little difference in handling?:ummm:

Honda VTX & use the center bushing out of your old shocks.They are 12" long.Check for take-offs at the local trike shop.

I do believe the ZRX piggyback shocks (I think they may even be made by ohlins too) will fit if I remember right.

Sean

The cheap ebay ones are crap. I've had them in my hands personally. Some have had OK luck with them but I do not suggest them. We ended up putting the set we had on the Fazer and they work very well on that bike. BUT, that bikes 200lbs lighter too.

Sean

Attachments

• Shannon Silver Fazer.jpg
    Shannon Silver Fazer.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 41
Hmmm :ummm:

Have a local friend who use to run with them. Will ask him about some feedback.

Update

My friend told me that hes using those cheapo shokcs for about two years.
He says that they working good, bit softy for the stock v-max.
But ok for the lightened one.

Nothig special i guess but, what do you want from gas shock for 100 bucks :D

The cheap ebay ones are crap. I've had them in my hands personally. Some have had OK luck with them but I do not suggest them. We ended up putting the set we had on the Fazer and they work very well on that bike. BUT, that bikes 200lbs lighter too.

Sean

+1

Thats what ive heard, they have too soft springs to be instaled on stock v-max.
It might be just fine with lightened v-max.

And so what are better ?:ummm:

The Harley shocks come in 3 flavours and the set I chose are slightly too stiff, if I had got the softer ones they'd be perfect. I'll get around to it one day, the progressive ones are fine also. For $139 I think they are a good buy.

hmmmm.So the first note is the cheap ones on Ebay really do hold true to form and are too soft to work well on my unlightened Max.

VTX shocks huh? might need to look around a little and see what i can dig up!

Keep an eye on that thread. The prices "might" be going down a bit. Right now the springs include the shipping and shocks are $15. Still more then the ebay site at the moment but I am not too far off.

Sean

Keep an eye on that thread. The prices "might" be going down a bit. Right now the springs include the shipping and shocks are $15. Still more then the ebay site at the moment but I am not too far off.

Sean

I'm watching, Sean. The prices are pretty inviting for sure. I'm waiting to read some impressions on the damping qualities of the various shocks. That and the fact that for me, they must appear as stock as possible. If I could convince Race Tech to rebuild my stock shocks I would. But at some point in the near future I want to get shocks and rebuild my forks.

I have the 418's with adjustable dampening and they seem to work great.

Latest posts

Back