Home grown swing arm bracing!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
Well Im at it again! I dont know if its because Im stubborn, cheap, or some misplaced sense of pride that I keep doin these projects when I "could" buy them but, I hope (honestly I do) they inspire at least one other person that they can do some of these mods at home on a tight budget...I know were all hurtin right now but that monkey has been chewin my ass since I split my case open to keep my hands busy till its running again!

So today I got around to finally bracing my swing arm!:eusa_dance:

I got most of the way done but ran outta welding wire so its on hold till I get more, but you get the idea!

Total cost thus far $0...after buying welding wire it will be 11.95+tax

p.s. my phone camera is crap,sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 169
Looks good man! I am thinking about building my own over the winter. Since thunder has come and gone, I now have more ideas of what I want to do during the off season. I am like you, I can't afford to buy it so since I am a fabricator I like to try and build my own things when I can.

We need an award for smallest picture posted... WTF is that dude? lol

Looks great though!

Chris

Nice work. Just beware that it is common for the swingarm to distort from the heat generated during welding. You may want to mock it up with the diff and wheel attached and come up with some kind of jig to hold it or maybe you can just leave those parts bolted on when you do the welding.

I was thinking the same thing for a different reason, clearance. Sure it might all look good welding up a nice beefy looking brace, nice and symetrical. But when you go to bolt it up, you find it won't bolt up, hits the exhaust or a frame member or worse, bottoms out hard on somrhing while riding. There is a reason many of these aftermarket braces are asymetrical in design. Glad you got the skills and gumption to try it though. You're a better man than I.

Yeah my phone got fried so I had to use my backup phone from forever ago and these are what I consider GOOD pictures for this phone lol. I kinda figured on the swing arm distorting, good call. I'll be sure to bolt the pumpkin and wheel on before I get too crazy

See there ya go! You can take all the money you save and get yourself a good phone, with a decent camera, that way you can show off all that good work your doing down there :clapping:

Ha ha ha! I'll take note of that Kj! Right now every penny I have is ganna go into getting my motor back together though. I'll try to get a couple real photos this evening. Now if you will excuse me Im off to go water my money tree!

:biglaugh:eek:k ok I got the real camera out so here she is welded and painted!

Attachments

• DSCN1714.JPG
    DSCN1714.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN1715.JPG
    DSCN1715.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 70
Looks good GLB! now if it works as good as it looks, your laughing!

Nice work indeed, always love to see guys with know how and the balls to take it on themselves.

Mike

Thanks guys! So far so good, everything bolts up strait and doesn't appear to have any clearance issues. I guess well know when I put her back together!

Latest posts

Back