homemade COP?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheelie250

Reaction score
Good Afternoon fellow vmaxers,

Im interested in doing COP conversion on my 05 vmax. I cant seem to find what coils should be used. ex: r6, r1, gsxr, what years ect, ect. It seems like a guy could relatively easily put together his own setup and harness if he knew what parts to use. Coils and harnesses can be had quite cheap. I assume you could get the donor harness, clip the plug off it, clip the plug off the old coils, solder the a short wire between the two. And possibly add a resistor to each. (mixed reviews weather or not they're nessisary. Is that all there is to it? Please comment before I go cutting wires ;)

I bought 4 coil sticks from a Suzuki gsxr something on EBay for $15.00 shipped. This was a few years ago, when the first posts on the COPS were put up. My coils were original, and were arcing all over the place when the bike got wet... I got a set of the connectors for the sticks for another ten bucks, also on EBay. Removed the rear coils and cut the connectors. Left the fronts in place, but liberated the connectors. With a bit of wire, some heatshrink tubing, and some time with the soldering gun, I made up a set of wires to connect the bike to the COPS. Simple job, and well worth a few hours time and less than 30 bucks. Nobody had come up with this idea of using resistors inline, so mine don't have them, and continue to work fine. The sticks were the long ones, and I paid no mind to polarity of the 2 wires going to the COPS plugs, nothing grounds, and you're only making and breaking voltage to a coil. I believe any coil stick connector will connect to any sttick, so get whats available, or cheapest.
That being said, the commercially available ones sold here are excellent quality, and worth the money,if you dont
want to make up a set yourself...

Hi, Bill,

As far as I can find out, if you're using the GSXR coil stick [FONT=&quot]([/FONT]or similar),
the coil stick definitely does have polarity at the connector, and how it's wired does make a difference.
If you go to the Denso web site and find their "Direct Ignition Coil" catalog , you'll read that the stick actually has an IC (Integrated Circuit) chip built into the head, so correct polarity is important to its operation.
AFAIK, as you're looking into the male end of the stick's connector, the terminal on the left is negative; i.e., ground terminal.
I was trying to verify that when I read your post.
Miswiring might be causing problems for some of the forum members that did the conversion.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Uncle Al

Al: Never had any problems with the sticks at all, the bike runs great. Keep in mind, the guy who sold me the sticks "said" they came off a GSX-something. He had sold a lot of parts on Fleabay, and who knows if they actually did, or if they even came off the same bike. They all looked the same, and work perfectly. Never did add the resistors, and the ignition box still works.. (now watch - I'm gonna go out in the garage to go for a ride, and I will fry the damn thing....)

I built a basic kit without resistors a long while ago, it worked fine for a while but played havoc when I put in an adjustable Vboost controller - I tested out a pretty beefy in-line resistor and all was good
More problems later on when I installed a shift light so I bought a kit from Gannon on here (they were MUCH tidier and had all the proper connections)
However, they didn't work too well with a new digital speedo I got - I had to put another inline resistor on the tach line to solve that

Bottom line... COPs are an improvement on the older setup but don't go down that road unless something is broken or you're not going to use any fancy electronics later on

If it runs right, you did it right.
"If it ain't broken, don't fix it"
For future reference, AFAIK, if you look into the connector on the COP, the left terminal is the ground (negative) polarity, for both the input and output coils.

Mark (Birdoprey) made up a set for me without the resistors and I sourced a set of coils from Ebay (long Sticks) but didn't like how they fit so I found some of the shorter sticks. A couple years ago I picked up Gannon's very nice cables since I had a Dyna 3000 to install. Everything works properly and have not had any issues whatsoever. I'm running .027 gap on the plugs as Mark originally suggested to me.

If it runs right, you did it right.
"If it ain't broken, don't fix it"
For future reference, AFAIK, if you look into the connector on the COP, the left terminal is the ground (negative) polarity, for both the input and output coils.

Are you sure?

Attached are 3 pictures of a denso 129700 coil.

1st is xray picture of terminal end, positive feed is top terminal in picture.

2nd picture is normal picture of coil in same orientation as xray.

3rd picture is end of stick for ID.

Gary

Attachments

• xray 1.JPG
    xray 1.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC01698.JPG
    DSC01698.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC01691.JPG
    DSC01691.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 39
On a regular coil it doesn't matter the polarity as it will work the same way. Im not sure if these specific coils have some specific requirements but i don't think so. I've read people telling that the power resistor has to be in a specific wire which i do not agree as the circuit is the sum of all parts so being prior or after the coil (regarding flow of current) shouldn't matter but Gary will know better than me. Look below

rl_combination.gif

In this case the power resistor is on the positive feed, but could very well be on the negative side (between coil - L - and the ground). The S is the TCI trigger switch that removes the +v feed (E is power supply) to the coil primary and allows for the secondary wiring to discharge the HT to the plug... Gary please correct me if im wrong...

Latest posts

Back