honda magna vs vmax review

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinks

Reaction score
I owned a 1998 Honda magna 750-4v this fall . Was looking for a max, but couldn't find one . I now have a 1998 V max. Here is my review & opinions of both bikes.
Magna- year 1998. v4 750cc. 87HP @9000rpm. fuel capacity 3.4gal. weight 504lbs. The bike sits a bit lower and doesn't seem to be as top heavy as the max. It handles well at low speeds & No wiggle at High speeds. Very predictable. Had it up to 121mph. The ride is softer , but a little mushy In the front fork dampening. The braking seemed about the same to me on both bikes. I did sit a little straighter on the magna, and handle bars came back farther. The seat seemed comfortable enough for a stock seat, and held you in place under WOT because the power roles on slower than the max. It handled well enough in the twistys, "but certainly no sport bike". I found the bike was easier to push out of the shop and maneuver around. I could also go farther on a tank of fuel, but had no "low fuel" indicator light, or "easy reserve switch" like the Max. I liked the chain drive better for" whole shot " take - offs. The bike went absolutely straight. I found the drive shaft on the max would throw you a little crooked on hard Take- off.
It didn't matter how big the windshield was either, it didn't effect the bike at high speeds and shielded you better from the wind. I really liked the bike and would buy another.
VMAX-max 1998 1200cc v4 98HP @8000rpm. weight 577lbs. fuel capacity 3.9gal.
For me, the bike was to tall. Had to build lowering blocks to bring it down 3 inches. After that, it was tons better. The power is strong & fast at any speed. You sit a little more forward and have to reach a bit for the bars. the suspension is stiffer and the steering is more precise and no mushy front end feeling. The handling of the bike before I went to Shinko tires wasn't great. Now with the new tires, its great ! You get a bit of a "work -out" ridding the max, I found the Magna was much more user friendly and didn't play out my wrists and upper back on a longer ride. The seat seems good, and it holds you in place under WOT. The windshield must be smaller for high speeds . I find the max cuts through the wind like a knife and very low wind turbulents in the face. "could be the distance from face to windshield". I seemed to get more wind on my Magna even having a large windscreen. I found both bikes shifted well and positive even under heavy load. I also found both bikes much the same to work on, "very similar". The magna is more Sedate in handling and power and more forgiving but still has enough power to excite you and get you into trouble. The max wins on Mean looks with its Huge Ram air scoops. Everyone knows...this bike means business. Both are great bikes in my
opinion.

magna1111111111%20001_zpssnnrxmbh.jpg

mad%20max%20003_zps2ifzg29b.jpg

I had both those bikes also, nothing compares to the ol' Vboost on that Vmax though...

Back