Honda VFR1200 cruiser?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Reading the May 2011 issue of Motorcyclist, with its sport touring 4 way comparison, made me wonder if Honda is doing any development on a 1237 cc SOHC V-4 cruiser to contest the market with the Generation II VMax. Seeing as the VFR1200F Honda sport tourer, fully-gassed, weighs less than the Gen. I VMax, & makes 142 r.w. HP & can turn a 10.23 sec/136.82 mph 1/4 mi., it seems to be capable of use in a power cruiser. With judicious use of the voluminous Honda parts bin, I am sure they could conjure something up whereby the biggest expense would be in style & execution of the frame & bodywork. I don't think they want to channel the V65 Magna, but they should be able to come up with some iconic ideas of their own, as Yamaha has with their dense, "can't see through from one side to the other" engine compartment, the ersatz 'air scoops,' and of course the intoxicating availability of tire-shredding torque and power. Give it an aluminum frame, maybe a chunky swingarm, maybe even a single-sided one, and 'it's all-about the quarter-mile' (minimal) bodywork, keep the weight below 550 lbs. ready-to-go, and you might just have a conten-dah' folks. The chain drive would allow easy gearing changes and would be cheaper than shaft drive, although the single-sided swingarm might make it difficult to go the 'extended' route so-popular among streetbikes whose owners have modded them in this fashion. The lighter weight would allow the lesser horsepower to compare favorably with the Gen. II higher HP, and we all know the beneficial effects of less weight on handling, and being able to design elements lighter because the weight is less. Undercut the Gen. II price point significantly, and you've made a strong market choice. I suggest a target of $13K, a bit more than a Triumph Speed Triple, MSRP w/ABS of $12,600.

Now I am not telling everyone to email American Honda with demands to see this happen, but I just wonder if there are some development mules somewhere being used & abused as the concept gets closer to a 'go-no-go' for the market. Anyone heard anything after trolling the Asian websites?

I bet I have owned my VMax longer than the majority of owners here, (18 years) and have owned at least 6 bikes of 1000 cc or > in multiple configurations. With > 40 years of riding experience, I have seen 'em 'come & go,' so it's 'no skin off my nose' if this doesn't occur. Competition improves the breed, and I can't help but wonder what Honda is thinking of bringing to market.

Harley want-a-be cruiser style or Honda want-a-be tourer style? 'Bout time someone mounted an attempt on the Goldwing; the BMW is nice, but seems no one but beemer lovers know of it.

Latest posts

Back