hope for a 15" rear radial

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnut108

Reaction score
Just read that Harley is coming out with a new 500 and 750. Will be debuting in India tomorrow (17th) it will also be available in the US and early specs says it has a Michelin/ Harley 15" Scorcher ll rear tire.

The Scorcher series are radials. Harley tire web sight does not have this size listed yet so we will have to wait for more info but this might be what we have all been waiting for.:eusa_dance:

i'd disagree because even if it is a radial, which i think the aspect ratio would be too high for to keep it close to our tires, the whole point in getting the radial ready rims is that the metal instead doesn't flex where the rubber does.

There is a Dunlop radial 15 out there. I have one. Unless its discontinued?

I have to agree with Garrett on this one, with a 15" rim you have a lot more rubber that can flex. With a 17" or 18" with less side wall it doesn't allow as much flex. That being said bias ply and radial tires are constructed differently and having a 15" radial may improve handling it would be something to test no doubt. The stock rims aren't weak its the width of the sidewall that is the issue.

The Harley is a comparable size bike at 480 pounds. This is not a scooter tire and I'm sure they are not going to make the sidewall a sidewall that would be dangerous. We will have to wait and see. I am optimistic but apparently others aren't.

It's not that I am saying a 15" radial will be dangerous, just that the benefits may not be as great as switching over to a larger diameter rim. If anything handling would be similar to bias plys. I know how my old bias ply tires felt in the corners vs. my radials now and it is truly night and day. Maybe these would give people an option before spending the cash on wheels. We'll just have to wait and see....

"If anything handling would be similar to bias plys."

If the above was true, why would Harley be putting radial tires on there newest bike.?

"If anything handling would be similar to bias plys."

If the above was true, why would Harley be putting radial tires on there newest bike.?

Maybe it's slightly better than usual bias ply, but I've still never seen a radial with a large aspect sidewall, esp on the rear, so either rpms would go up and the rear would be a couple inches lower or you have a radial that has a flexible sidewall similar to that of a bias. Also I don't think Harley is the pinnacle of new tech, and if they wanted to put a proper radial on the rear, they should use a wheel like the vrod, imo.

-garrett

It would be nice to know the actal tire size. Chances are its going to be much shorter than stock.

The vmax weighs 625lbs. That is 30% more than the HD. You'd nee to check the max load spec on this tire whenever the specs come out. Also the speed rating.

I don't think the weight and speed ratings would bother me as much as the the height difference.

It would be nice to know the actal tire size. Chances are its going to be much shorter than stock.

The vmax weighs 625lbs. That is 30% more than the HD. You'd nee to check the max load spec on this tire whenever the specs come out. Also the speed rating.

I don't think the weight and speed ratings would bother me as much as the the height difference.

yea its all about the aspect ratio, i agree.

bias ply sidewalls are a lot stiffer, as they have to be having more of it, and having to support the bike.

radials are softer, allow a better contact patch, but they can only be so tall. imagine the flexibility to allow that at 2-3x the sidewall, you'd be squirming all over the place.

i think this pic inaccurately shows the sidewalls around the same height, but it kind of shows the idea:

michelin_150.jpg

I also think on bikes its a different animal than say cars as the car tires should never be at an angle, whereas bike tires are, ie in turns. radial/bias tires on a car basically have the whole tread on the ground all the time (give or take), so you don't notice that sidewall flex on a radial vs a bike where you are at an angle and i imagine the sidewall would be all over the place.

just my $0.02

EDIT: i also knew this felt like deja vu: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=31736

I saw a couple of pic from the India showing yesterday. One was a fairly good shot of the rear tire. The size of the rear tire was 140/75/15. This is close to our oem size. Close enough that I would consider it. What do you guys think.

I saw a couple of pic from the India showing yesterday. One was a fairly good shot of the rear tire. The size of the rear tire was 140/75/15. This is close to our oem size. Close enough that I would consider it. What do you guys think.

Might be ok. You'll drop a little over an inch in height in back and your speedo will reaad about 5mph less than actual AT 60 MPH. If you do this, I'd drop the front the same or a little more. You'll get a little lower using a 110/80/18 front radial, the rest you can get from the forks. Might as well get the progressive lowering kit from Sean at the same time. Keep us posted.
Steve-o

Speedometer is referenced of the front wheel so rear tire size won't have an effect on speedo readings.

That diameter of that radial is 2.3" less than OEM so its actually gonna drop the rear a bit more than 1".

It will probably make the vmax look like a dirt bike.

Not sure how it would handle. I agree with Steve. Lower the front to match, try one out and report your results.

The new Harley 750 water cooled is running a 150/90-15 by the spec seen that is on their site. Does not say if it is radial tires or not. Still trying to find out. I doubt that it is as Harley is trying to keep the price down for that class of bike . Trying to attract the younger rider.

Back