Horn problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

355cid

Reaction score
Ok, here's a good one. I recently noticed my v-boost servo wasn't cycling when I first go to start my Max so I was gonna do an oil change and try to trouble shoot it yesterday. I changed the oil and took it out for a ride to warm it up, check for leaks, etc. On the way back home, I pulled up to a stop sign and my horn was kinda partially blowing, like a low/partial voltage thing. When I hit the horn button it would sound like normal, but when I released the button, it would go back to the low voltage sound. I went on home without incident and when I stopped I pulled the black wire off the horn terminal and the horn quit. Here's where it gets weird, I turned the the key back on, hit the run switch and the v-boost servo cycled and does every time now. Where should I start looking to straighten it out? :bang head:

Follow the horn wire - it's bound to be stripped somewhere and shorting. Also check your diodes block, things can get pretty funky if it goes wrong.

Ok G, thanks. By diodes block do you mean the rectifier/regulator? Sorry I'm so tardy with my response, been super busy. Thanks again.

No the diode's are behind the scoops do you have a manual? if not search the forum for them I'm no expert but I know it's not the rectifier

The diode block is behind the left scoop but it is inside the frame perimeter. You need to take off your air box and it will be this rubber-encased "pack" (square shape) towards the left.

This may or may not be your problem. The problem mine created years back when the rubber dry-rotted and let in moisture was that my bike was reluctant to start after I washed it.

You should probably get a hold of a schematic and see what circuits are common to the horn and v-boost and start checking wiring as previously recommended.

Latest posts

Back