Horsepower

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahmedoabbas

Reaction score
I read that up to 2001 all Vmaxes where about 102 HP, and the after that up to the new gen one they were 145 HP! And that all the difference are the carburetors!

Is this true?

And if it is, can a carburetor from a recent Vmax, say 2006, fit into a 2001 one?

All the same, 145 hp (crank) 85-07 for US models

Everytime I read an ad for a 85 or 86 Vmax and the seller says "the high horsepower year" I know they are ignorant and anything else that they say or write cannot be trusted. Don't be one of the urban legend perpetuators of such crap.
Hope you find the Max of your dreams and welcome newbie. This is a great forum to have found!

thank you, i already have a 2001, but the problem is, i dont know for which market it was originally intended form, i am from Egypt... however good news :)

yes it sounds like this (a little quiter), isnt this related to the fuel preparation?

yes it sounds like this (a little quiter), isnt this related to the fuel preparation?

Means you got V Booost...so you have the 145 crank us/canadian version...without boost japN/europe version you run the 104.

Just to keep it simple.
Carbs are all the same......except bore increased in 2000? From 34 to 35mm, and the first year or two had staggered main jets.

Means you got V Booost...so you have the 145 crank us/canadian version...without boost japN/europe version you run the 104.

Just to keep it simple.
Carbs are all the same......except bore increased in 2000? From 34 to 35mm, and the first year or two had staggered main jets.

I believe all yr vmax was 35mm, ventures were 34

The myth about 85's being more powerful was from that they did have a more open/louder exhaust that didn't meet highway regulations, so for 86 it was muted down a bit. To compensate v-boost tubes got a bit larger.

Peak power was still 145hp, but it occurs at a slightly lower RPM.

If you have v-boost, you have the full power north america version. Euro and Japan versions did not have v-boost and were the 104hp version. The Japanese version also had a speed limiter built into the speedo.

I believe all yr vmax was 35mm, ventures were 34

Actually I made a boohoo......'85 to '92 was 34mm......if that's wrong info....sorry I,ll have to get back to yamaha and let them know they put the wrong info out on my Max.:ummm:

Also yes ventures
Were 34 also and they moved on up to 35 around the same time.

Do you know the boost crossover tubing was also increased in size around that time also...however minimal it is, 1 mm does not make that much of a difference.

So stock is 145 at the crank, 112 at the wheel according to the preceding posts. Roughly what kind of gains do you get with a stage 7 jet kit and aftermarket exhaust?

Depends on the exhaust that you go with. Once you decide on one I would do a dyno before and after to see the gain...There are people on here that have done so and will most likely chime in with their results...Check out the threads in this section for various opinions and results

http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Latest posts

Back