Hot Plugs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentsvmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guy's
I'm trying to re-jet, thought I got close but these plugs look
almost new, greyish white hot. They are a year old and were a sooty
black when I started my highaltitune. The bike runs great but sometimes
smells rich when I get to a stoplight. I thought maybe I've been around new
injected bikes too long but today I could smell the same rich burn smell on a
2019 V twin so not to judge by the nose I guess, anyway any opinion's would
be greatly appreciated.
These are my plugs , 1 through 4, left to right.
20210306_183948.jpg20210306_184036.jpg20210306_184119.jpg20210306_184139.jpg20210205_154344.jpg

I'm no expert but no. 5 is definitely too rich.

The others, in particular no. 2 look to be on the lean side.

I would think the colour of the plugs is a better indicator of engine tune than sniffing the exhaust.

If you are concerned then a gas analyser stuck in the exhaust and/or a trip to a rolling road is in order.

My opinion is based on this.
Screenshot_20210307-082249.jpg

Also bear in mind plugs are available for different temperature ratings do you have standard plugs fitted? (see below, read description rather than look at the photos)
sparkplug_tech_007.gif

I take it you have made mods and are tuning by changing the jets according to information on the Internet, doing it DIY like this involves a bit of guesswork. Some one will correct me but you would be looking to fit slightly large main jet and/or richer needle (I need to look this up). Fitting this to pair of cylinders whose exhausts meet together first would keep the cost down if you didn't want to spend cashdo all 4 until you hit the best combination.

Last edited:
I think you sum it up when you write ' The bike runs great', how much better than that do you want it to run?
IMO it is very easy to get hung up on the minute details; from what I can see from the pics I wouldn't be too worried about the tune.

If it 'smells rich' when idling then you could try tweaking the idle mixture screws but only if the tamper proof plugs have been removed (as the factory set should be correct) and after you have noted their current positions.

All that said, if you really want to set it up optimally then getting a base setting from a dyno run would take out the guesswork.

Do these things melt pistons when you run plugs this color like 2 strokes do?
Short answer, no - as a general principle four strokes do not melt pistons and are nowhere near as fussy with regard to mixture particularly compared to air cooled two strokes.
Also it is water cooled which give excess heat a means of being dissipated plus the oil circulating will also aid cooling.

The problem I have with trying to interpret the plug colour is that this will depend what the motor was doing when it was shut off.
If you did a plug 'chop' i.e. then you will get some idea what the mixture is doing.
This will give an indication as to rich or lean but you still don't know by how much and what jets you would need to correct the situation.
Unless you have a supply of alternative jets you don't need to get it wrong too often before you have paid to get a baseline setting from the dyno.

I think you sum it up when you write ' The bike runs great', how much better than that do you want it to run?
IMO it is very easy to get hung up on the minute details; from what I can see from the pics I wouldn't be too worried about the tune.

If it 'smells rich' when idling then you could try tweaking the idle mixture screws but only if the tamper proof plugs have been removed (as the factory set should be correct) and after you have noted their current positions.

All that said, if you really want to set it up optimally then getting a base setting from a dyno run would take out the guesswork.
Well I thank you all for the thoughts and great advise. I have definatly defined insanity with all my attempts at the perfect tune without a dyno run for baseline or the use of an exhaust gas analyzer and yes LOL, I do have quite a wide range of jets, needles and springs, air boxes and lids .

To MaxMidnights point just today enjoying a ride at 68 degrees here in Denver I had a friend tell me "quit f---in with it, it sounds and runs great man".
I also got a gentle reminder as to something about it being a carbureted relic from the 80's from my buddy on his giant 2013 Valkyrie .

Just incase, any suggestions or recommendations for what analyzer would be best for a 4 into 1 exhaust.
Again thanks for the help!

Gent

Latest posts

Back