Hot Start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimmie

Reaction score
My bike did the not wanting to start when hot thing today. My buddy was telling me that they make a kit to fix (or help) the problem. I located the kit online but is the kit just heavy duty battery cables and a good frame ground?

Thanks, Grimmie:peace out bike:

more imporantly is what year is your bike? The eariler years had weaker starters with only 2 brushes in them while the later years were 4 brush versions.

Sean

Your starter is fine then. I got the vmaxbitz.com heavy duty ground kit and it helped. They also started selling a heavy duty starter cable kit. I'm debating trying that out.

Maybe the rectifier regulator[not grounded very good]check battery with a volt meter should read 14 anything less could be your rectifier,stater,or??

I simply soldiered a 16 gauge wire from the regulator to the battery overlaying the factory harness & cured my hot start problem. Charging voltage went from 13.6 to 14.4.

hot start problem

:notworki: Hi all, Looking for a bits of advice. I am having a problem with my v-max not wanting to start whilst she is hot. She is a 1992 model - just wondered if anyone else has every had similar problems and if so - any advice on what might be the problem

Cheers
Vixen

Hi, I am also having this problem, but my v-max is a 1992 model, so will this may I only have the 2 bush starter motor? If I buy a replacement do they all now come with 4 bushes :ummm:

Cheers
vixen

Re: hot start problem

It is a commomn problem with the vmax upgrade the earth cable to a heavy duty one can help resolve th eproblem

No, just order one from '96 or later. Problem is, there might be 2 brush models as NOS so they might send you one of those instead. It's the same part number.

No, just order one from '96 or later. Problem is, there might be 2 brush models as NOS so they might send you one of those instead. It's the same part number.

as 'NOS' ??????

would it be worth trying to solder the wire from recitifer to battery as also suggested

Cheers
Vixen

Vixen, new-old stock meaning old parts are still used. :)

You can try that it should help with the charging but not with starting. Better starter cables and grounds help with that.

Vixen, new-old stock meaning old parts are still used. :)

You can try that it should help with the charging but not with starting. Better starter cables and grounds help with that.

Thanks will try out things you have advised - and hopefully solve the problem

Vixen

(Two weeks ago) I bought the starter cable kit, the heavy duty ground and the cooling switch from vmaxbitz and that fixed my hot start problem all together. The cooling switch is really nice in stop & go traffic. You can turn it on as soon as you stop and it pretty much keeps the temp down about half way.

I'm not sure what fixed the hot start problem as I installed everything at once while I had the bike apart. I guess it would have been a smart move to try and figure out exactly what the issue was, but anyway, it's fixed!!

I had this hot start problem as well and I have a 1986 max . I upgraded the r/rectifier to a R1 r/r and added another ground and problem is solved .

Back