How about some stories?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
New member here, looking to buy my first V-Max this fall.

How about some stories about the first ride on your V-Max, and what exactly convinced you to buy one?

Thanks!

Jayhawk said:
New member here, looking to buy my first V-Max this fall.

How about some stories about the first ride on your V-Max, and what exactly convinced you to buy one?

Thanks!

I've always wanted to get one since I first heard about them and read articles written about them in 85. I finally bought one when I got tired of riding sports bikes. Found a used one at the dealership, pulled out of the driveway, fuel light came on and the bike died! Cheap bastards didn't even put gas in it for me!:damn angry:

All I needed was to hear one and ride with friends who had max's and I knew I wanted one

Saw one in 1985 always wanted one since, Dreamed for several years and finally got a 1992 vmax in 1997. First time I ever even rode one was on that test drive!

I had always heard of the Max. It's reputation and the looks attracted me. Then maybe a year ago, a good friend of mine let me borrow his. He was moving out of state and told me to "take it home for a couple of weeks". I got to ride it for about 3 weeks and put several hundred miles on it. It was a 93 (I think). Burple in color.

I wouldv'e tried to buy that one, but it needed too much work from being neglected. Still, the bug was planted. After my Roadstar Warrior disappointed me, the Max was my obvious choice to replace it. I am finally content! The FZ and the Max compliment each other perfectly for MY style of riding.

I knew what I wanted so I bought a used 85' max in 89' that only had 3800 miles on it without ever having road one. It was 60 miles away so I had my sister give me a ride there, on the way back I was goofing off, dropped it down a couple of gears out on the highway and went full throttle to pass little sis. When the back tire hit the stripe on the pavement it spun out scaring the s--t out of me, never had a bike that could do that at 75 + mph. Then it started raining and raining and raining. By the time I got home the title had disintergrated in my pocket! That was some day.

My first bike was an 84 Honda V65 Magna,
I loved the way it sounded and it was an effin' beast compared to anything else on the road at that time.
over a period of 14 years I owned 3 more of different years of the very same bike.

The last one almost killed me with a high speed, tank slapping wobble that happened at 140mph. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital on that one. The V65 has just as bad a high speed wobble as the Max, maybe worse.

I had heard of the Vmax and knew it was faster and prettier? but never really ran across one.

Two years ago I started looking for another V65 but discovered that supply and demand had finally caught up with that bike as any of them worth owning were quite expensive and parts were going to be a bitch as it was out of production.:damn angry:

That is when I started looking for a Vmax.
I had NEVER ridden one but ended up in Fort Worth looking at a 6000 mile 99 a guy was selling that was perfect, bone stock and never messed with. (I like'em messed with but I want to do the messing myself)

One ride around the block and a was converted.:eusa_dance:

Only thing I miss about the V65 Magna is 6th gear...
What the hell was Yamaha thinking, 6th gear overdrive would have adressed so many complaints about this bike without affecting low end grunt at all....

Latest posts

Back