How can I cure my ugly exhaust can?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saml01

Reaction score
How can I fix my ugly exhaust can?

My bike isnt pretty, but its not ugly either. But this is probably the single biggest eye sore. Basically, the entire exhaust can looks like it has leprosy and I really want to conceal or fix this somehow without making it look like complete ass. Right now I Have self adhesive aluminum tape on it and while its better than before it basically looks like a long veiny dick.

I was thinking of just ditching the kerker can for an el cheaper ebay special universal like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOND...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb2451285
But... So far I havent had one with a big enough flange to fit the pipe.

I was thinking of wrapping it in headerwrap, but after thinking about it more it just seems like an even uglier solution.

I was thinking about painting it with VHT but the problem with rattle cans is the paint comes out microns thick and damages easily.

What do you guys think I can do and preferably as cheap as possible?

Can you take the "can" apart by drilling the pop rivets and get the skin rechromed. Then pop rivet it back together?

Or send it to Sean and exchange it for a different can. He might give you a little for it? Never hurts to ask!

We can rechrome it to look better then new! Take the can apart, weld the holes shut, and have a nice smooth chrome look. We've done a couple of them and they turn out great.

I can sell you a carbon fiber can as well and a few guys here have ones we've done. Not as cheap as the chrome option but a different look and sound.

Sean

The can itself is aluminum. You can take it apart and have it blasted and then polish it. Should be cheap to just blast the can. For the pipes you could either use some high temp paint or header wrap.

I sanded my aluminum kerkers down and painted them with satin black high temp paint.cheap fix and I get a lot of compilments on them

The can itself is aluminum. You can take it apart and have it blasted and then polish it. Should be cheap to just blast the can. For the pipes you could either use some high temp paint or header wrap.

This is a good idea but god I hate polishing. Takes so much time, effort, and material.

However, you reminded me of something I wanted to ask. How do I get the can off? I took the Tbolt clamp off, but when I pull on the can it feels like its catching on something. I dont want to hammer it off and its hard to grab onto to pull it off.

We can rechrome it to look better then new! Take the can apart, weld the holes shut, and have a nice smooth chrome look. We've done a couple of them and they turn out great.

I can sell you a carbon fiber can as well and a few guys here have ones we've done. Not as cheap as the chrome option but a different look and sound.

Sean

That sounds awesome, but doesn't sound cheap.

I sanded my aluminum kerkers down and painted them with satin black high temp paint.cheap fix and I get a lot of compilments on them

Pics?

If I paint, black would be the only option. Anything else will look stupid I think.

I can't post pics from my phone to this site but I could email u a couple if u give me your email address.if not I'll post tonight when I get home.I have some pics if u click on my name.I originally painted them gloss black and left the kerker tag silver but opted to go satin black all over the entire cans(4 into 2)

Sam, you should have srarted spraying the PB Blaster in the joint as soon as you knew it had to come apart. Then, look all the way around the pipe where there is overlap of the can over the collector pipe for a small screw. They can be hidden anywhere around the pipe. The canister is hard to grip so wiggling, bending from side to side and up and down until the PB works it's way in there.

Ask Captainkyle about his Boss Hoss can. If you like clean,simple and loud, this may be the ticket for you. Worth a try bro

Jet Hot coating will cover it and your pipes in black or satin silver and you won't have to polish either one again . ( Ignore the chrome forks )

Attachments

• Snow pics 2010 531.jpg
    Snow pics 2010 531.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 11-26-10 024.jpg
    11-26-10 024.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 66
U can buy anything and goto any muffler shop and have them expand the opening for you...
I fitted a gorgeous carbon fiber can that way..

i used an orbital sander to get all the chrome off that hadnt already peeled off being careful not to flat spot the surface too badly then hand sanded it some more then cleaned them slipped them over a couple broom handles and put a bunch of light coats of paint on it and im real happy with them.

heres a good pic of it
picture.php

Damnit, guess im gonna have to paint. Its the cheapest yet most elegant solution.

Did you prime it or does the VHT go on bare metal? What primer?

may want to consider having it blasted down to metal first?

Back