How do you change your rear shocks?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptnov

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just gotten myself a pair of 444's. Is the centerstand enough to jack up the rear to replace the shocks? I'm thinking that the rear part might collapse if I remove both OEM shocks. Anyone with experience?'

Thanks!

center stand is enought
then i put a 2 X 6 or 2 X 4 six foot long under the wheel, block it with anything (car jack will do the job)
by then you can lift or lower the back whell

I do change my schock from 444s 1 1/2 shorter to stock every times my Darling comes ride with me

8 minutes is enought:biglaugh:

Try doing one shock at a time if they are similar in length to the stock. That is what I did when changing mine. It is fairly easy to move the wheel up if needed with only one shock.

Yeah thanks! It was really easy. Anyone know what the extra spacers and washers are for?

Just need what fits like originals. Different bike have different size posts, etc. They do not make a different shock for every bike.

I don't have a center stand. Is it possible you change the rear shocks, one at a time with the rear tire still on the ground?

The new shock does not need to be compressed. I always put the top on first, and put the bolt thru with a couple of threads but leave some wiggle room, because your basically sliding the top and bottom almost at the same time.

I removed the left side first. With the rear tire still on the ground there is no way your going to get the new shock installed. With no centerstand I used an ATV lift, bolted the top mount loosely and started jacking until the bottom lined up. The right side was much the same. Thanks for all the advice from others that had done this job, it's actually easy once you get going.

Back