How do you remove the Insert?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zexus

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but I need to know how to remove the middle gear cover insert. Thanks

That is correct. You have to drill it out to remove. What's wrong with yours?

Sean

Ah, good luck. We have made a number of changes to get the covers sealing up well and hopefully you will have good luck on your first try.

Sean

No, not making a see through cover...I'm daring...not stupid. I would leave something like that to the pros. Just swapping out to a polished insert.

You Need a small grinder with cutoff wheel (ok) or a die grinder (better)
. You do have to destroy it to get it out.

Remove it from the bike so you can see what's behind it. There's a hollow cavity between the insert and the cover. Just be careful to cut just the insert and not the cover.
I did all mine several years ago and it took some bravery to five in but wasn't that hard.
The middle gear cover and water pump cover are like above.

The clutch cover is held on by bolts from inside and generator cover by bolts from outside.

It's held in by a snap ring. It's possible but not easy to cut just enough access to "spiral" that ring out and remove it that way.

You Need a small grinder with cutoff wheel (ok) or a die grinder (better)
. You do have to destroy it to get it out.

Remove it from the bike so you can see what's behind it. There's a hollow cavity between the insert and the cover. Just be careful to cut just the insert and not the cover.
I did all mine several years ago and it took some bravery to five in but wasn't that hard.
The middle gear cover and water pump cover are like above.

The clutch cover is held on by 1 bolt from inside and generator cover by 2 bolts from outside.

All done. Removing the insert was not particularly difficult...just drilled a series of holes near the perimeter of the insert, pulled the rubber ring out to get to the clip ring. The hard part was removing the polished insert from the other cover without damaging it...now that was a PITA.

All done. Removing the insert was not particularly difficult...just drilled a series of holes near the perimeter of the insert, pulled the rubber ring out to get to the clip ring. The hard part was removing the polished insert from the other cover without damaging it...now that was a PITA.

Didn't realize you were removing the inserts you wanted from a different cover?

Guess you had to destroy the old covers, to salvage the inserts?

When I installed my new inserts I didn't use the snap ring due to that fear of needing to remove them later, I just used the o-ring and some RTV sealant as glue.
Mine are the Otec pieces I think, the one's Wildbros sells.

Would love to have the complete Otec machined covers some day.

Latest posts

Back