How does the Vboost servo work?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blurr

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with how the vboost servo works? Does it wait till a certain voltage to activate; if so what voltage is it? I have a voltmeter and will be digging into it but I am not the strongest on electoral matters and it never hurts to ask for help.

I've decided to rig up some 'flapper style' panels over my morley muscle air box that will open at 6k rpm and progressively open further as the rpm advance. I've just about finished my hacking on my airbox/fake tank and figured out my linkage issues so I'm down to working on what will control the hood scoops. I am using high torque rc servos that turn a braided cable (for flexibility and routing) that spin the doors at the pivot point. I've got it set up to the point I can control it manually, I'd just like to get it to work automatically.

Just do a search for V boost, and there should be many older threads to read through. I don't find a sticky specifically for it.

Anyone familiar with how the vboost servo works? Does it wait till a certain voltage to activate; if so what voltage is it? I have a voltmeter and will be digging into it but I am not the strongest on electoral matters and it never hurts to ask for help.

I've decided to rig up some 'flapper style' panels over my morley muscle air box that will open at 6k rpm and progressively open further as the rpm advance. I've just about finished my hacking on my airbox/fake tank and figured out my linkage issues so I'm down to working on what will control the hood scoops. I am using high torque rc servos that turn a braided cable (for flexibility and routing) that spin the doors at the pivot point. I've got it set up to the point I can control it manually, I'd just like to get it to work automatically.

Vboost is not much or than a geared drive motor. Put + on one lead and - on other, it turns one direction until it reaces end of gear train travel. Reverse + & - on wires it runs other direction.

The interesting part is the feedback potentiometer that is part of the servo motor assy. As the motor runs and advances the gear train, the potentiometer turns to follow the gear train and always reads the same resistance at any given location. The servo controller interprets this resistance change and 'knows' what the position is.

Some pics attached of servo motor & gear train. The potentiometer is the shorter item beside the motor in the 1st picture.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts