How fast is a red Ferrari.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
So there I am on Saturday minding my own business, tooling down M53 from Port Austin area. I am cruising around 75 mph. Not much traffic, just me and the open country. Overcast and a little cool, so with almost full gear on, its a nice ride.

Glancing over to my bar end mirror I see a car coming up behind me. He wasn't blasting up behind me, but gaining slowly. First thought was its "the man". So I slowed down to 65 mph. The speed limit was 55 mph. But its in the upper thumb, so unless your doing something stupid, your pretty much ok. As he got closer, I noticed a hood scoop on the front.

2013-Ferrari-California-front-view-carport.jpg

Well its roughly a 500 hp machine. Though my first glance I thought it was a red Mazda Miata or something lame. It definitely doesn't invoke the mystique a "real" Ferrari has.

So anyways..... as he got closer, we're talking about 5-6 car lengths behind me. I figured, well 75 mph again. So I went back to minding my business when I noticed again that the little red Mazda was getting over to pass me. I thought to myself.... seriously.... I am doing 75 mph. But whatever, if you were doing 90 mph and came up behind someone doing 75 mph, you would probably pass them too. So I let him pass. I am not one of those that will race up and not let you pass. Nothing good even becomes of that on a bike. You have a pissed off guy behind you always trying to pass and he either rides your ass or makes you nervous so you lose focus on whats in front of you. So no big deal I let him pass. But I know we are coming up to a stop sign in about a mile or less. Its a 4 way stop and not a super busy stop , but none the less its a freeway stop in 4 directions. So you have to be careful. People were just flying along at 75 mph and now have to come to a 4 way stop.

So thats when I noticed, WTH, this things a Ferrari ? Wow they must really be hurting to offer a pile of graphic designer fail like that. I mean if this was an Enzo, F40 heck even a testicularossa I would have given it some respect. But to have a Mazda with a prancing horse attached to it and call it a Ferrari..... No this yuppie wanna be had to be taught a lesson... Vmax style of course.

Well the unfortunate thing is that we couldn't pair off at the stop sign. Its a two lane highway. And there was traffic in front of us. But he took off briskly and I followed behind him. I couldn't wind out the gears or I would have been sitting in his passenger seat, since I couldn't pass him with traffic to our left. We ran up to 105 mph or so with me right behind him dying, pleading to the traffic gods to make a break so I could pull up next to him, wave good bye and then take off. But that didn't happen. So I got stuck behind him for about 5 miles.

A smile came across my face.... a sign with a 2 mile ahead passing lane, just went by. Whadda know... someone up there does like me! So that painful 2 miles at 55 mph ( traffic ) seemed like 20 miles. But we made it.

I didn't want to squirt past him without giving him a chance. And as traffic cleared to the right of the passing lane, he got over in the left lane and proceeded to speed up. Not full on power, but he moved at turtle speed past the traffic ( must have been 70 mph ). When he passed the last car, I waited for him to pull to the right and let me pass. Which I would have pulled up next to him and procured the challenge. But he wouldn't get over. So I got into the right lane, looked over and gave him the nod. You know, "The Nod". The nod of come on small penis man who buys a red Mazda and throws cereal box decals on it and calls it a Ferrari! Show me what that little sorry excuse for a sports car has under its skin. He looks over and must have seen the air scoop peeking out from under my left nut ( because we all know it takes big balls to ride a Vmax right :biglaugh:) and realized one of two things.

1 Christ this guy has a big sack.

2 Holy shit that's one of those Vmax's that ruled the streets in the 80's.

Well from a 70 mph roll I dropped to 3rd gear and ripped off. I ran up to 125 mph when I looked behind me and he was nothing but a little paint chip of a spec. Ok well he wasn't that far away, but he was about as far behind me as Vmax Mike is in a quarter mile, so about 20 bike lengths. I slowed down so he could see again, one last time, what the rear of a Vmax looks like. He followed behind me and we ran into traffic again and must have turned off some place.

So I didnt get to balls out run him and I am sure if we ran up to 150 mph he would have been beating me down at higher speeds. But I wouldn't let that happen. I would have tapped the brakes long before bozo the clowns brother's circus car passed me.

Here I sit pen er..... keyboard in hand.... writing this story. Googling Ferrari California 30 and seeing that they are a high 11' low 12 second 1/4 mile car. So from a dead dig, he would have never had a chance.... kinda like Vmax Mike:rofl_200:... Ok sorry Mike enough busting your marbles there.

So there is my story, of course this didn't really happen because I would NEVER break the speed limit, or condone illegal street racing, or spanking a guys small little ego and hurt his feelings for buying a rebadged and painted Mazda Ferrari thing..... :rofl_200:

Good story , always loved red Ferraris. My boss in the medical supplies industry in the late '70s needed a garage to store his recently acquired red 365 GTB/4 Daytona . Needless to say , I told him it would be o.k. until his new house and garage were built . He didn't leave me a key , but did take me for a ride or two. I had driven a few Vettes prior to the rides but this baby just hunkered down at 160 , but felt like 90 in a Vette. :punk:

Im man enough to admit that your little toddler ass can out run me in the 1/4 mile Todd but lets keep it real. If and when you can leave without red lighting you only get me by 3 bike lengths. And i weigh 50lbs more than you. Im sure that guy said to himself is that that cazy idit that we watched fuck up more runs than he ran good at lapeer dragway. Im gonna back down and let this jackass motor by before he wheelies out of control and hits me. After watching this guy red light so many times i dont even want to race him from a dig. Dont ever worry about my feelings Toddler. My big ass nut sack can hold its own.:biglaugh:

Ya just dont reference my nuts the next time. We have to sleep in the same room at thunder and Im beginning to wounder about you. LOL

Shit i would need x-ray glasses to see through my belly. Ok i gave you that one enough is enough Lets get back talking about racing.

Yeah, well I heard the vacuum cleaner gone wild hiss of the red Malabo as he jetted away from the light in front of Mejers. He was trying to get to the place where the road narrower before me. I garbed a handfull of throttle and the red light came on, I shifted in 2nd with a cute little wheele and twisted it to the stop. I was by hime and the red light came on again! A quick shift and I was by the narrow down spott. I touched my break lever three times to wave good by!

Hey, we all have our little battles <BMFG>

It's certainly not the prettiest car Ferrari has ever made. Especially considering what the original California looked like

180508-a-rm_opt.jpg

Don't be too cocky racing cars. 99% of the time you'll win, but a couple summers ago we decided to mess with this kid in a riced-out Honda with the farty exhaust. We were doing 80-90 on the highway and he's right on our ass, I slide over, traffic is clear, so as he pulls up next to us I pin it in fourth. I pull ahead very briefly, then I hear a whooooooOOOOOSH and this little shitbox civic goes absolutely tearing ass by like I was on bricks. Buddy on a R6 barely managed to tail him up to he said 150 when the car backed off.

I live, generally, in the Dallas area...north of Dallas. I have a lot of cop friends because the Doctor I work for treats cops for free.

A county sheriff told us a story the other day about chasing a Ferrari down the freeway. They got behind him and he floored it and took off. They estimated his speed at over 190. They knew they could not catch him so radioed ahead. Some other officer replied over the radio that it was no problem and he would catch him in less than 5 minutes, which he did.

The officer went on to explain that, held at full throttle, a Ferrari with a full tank runs out of gas in about three minutes.

the officer picked the guy up on the side of the freeway...out of gas.

who knows if it's true.

I feel it would take longer but i could see a guy running out trying to out run the cops.

Bad ass story! I've had a few stories like this myself, I'm tempted to share! Nothing as cool as a Ferrari though!

It's certainly not the prettiest car Ferrari has ever made. Especially considering what the original California looked like

180508-a-rm_opt.jpg

Don't be too cocky racing cars. 99% of the time you'll win

100% of the time I win :biglaugh:. I only race things I know the bike will run with. Now the Turbo Busa..... I ll race anything on that.... cause I know nothing will keep up with that 110% of the time.....:rofl_200: Well of course right now its sitting idle.... so I guess Vmax Mike could keep up with that.:rofl_200:

I live, generally, in the Dallas area...north of Dallas. I have a lot of cop friends because the Doctor I work for treats cops for free.

A county sheriff told us a story the other day about chasing a Ferrari down the freeway. They got behind him and he floored it and took off. They estimated his speed at over 190. They knew they could not catch him so radioed ahead. Some other officer replied over the radio that it was no problem and he would catch him in less than 5 minutes, which he did.

The officer went on to explain that, held at full throttle, a Ferrari with a full tank runs out of gas in about three minutes.

the officer picked the guy up on the side of the freeway...out of gas.

who knows if it's true.

Unless the gas tank was 1.5 gallons, thats a cop story.... :biglaugh:

My gixxer 750 would crank 150 mph and I could run 20 miles at that speed and still have plenty of fuel to run 100 miles.

I know apples to oranges comparison, but I am just saying that a supercar can definitely run longer than 3 mins at full throttle. I know I ve done it :biglaugh:

That's definitely a cop story. Not too long ago there was a "famous" statistic that the Bugatti Veryon would empty it's tank in 18 minutes at it's full 250mph top speed. The tires would only last like 30 minutes at that speed also. Granted that's at 250mph, not an everyday thing but still. Guess if you can afford a $1.5M car you can afford the fuel and tires.

At WOT my vmax went 18 miles from the fuel light coming on. This was to-the-bar, 140mph nonstop. I figured the fuel light on mine meant there was about .9 gallons left, so at full tilt the vmax does 15-16mpg?

Yes, with a turbo busa there really is nothing on the street to worry about.

An Indy car gets about 2 mpg. Average speed realistically around 180 mph. At 60mph a car will go 1 mile a minute. 60 mph X 3 minutes is 18 miles. At 180 mph 3 minutes will be 54 miles. Assuming a Ferrari will get no worst mgp than an Indy car in 54 milles the Ferrari will use 27 gallons of fuel. A 27 gal. fuel tank seems reasonable. But I would be willing to bet an Indy car uses way more fuel.
David

Saw a really, really fast Black Ferrari last night. Gas Monkey Garage.

I actually outran a Ferrari from a roll for a while once on an XJ-1100.:confused2: The driver pulled me over for a talk about the bike afterward.
Added Afterthought: about 110 MPH, He passed me like I was Super Glued to the road.

Latest posts

Back