How fast is a red Ferrari.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw a really, really fast Black Ferrari last night. Gas Monkey Garage.

I actually outran a Ferrari from a roll for a while once on an XJ-1100.:confused2: The driver pulled me over for a talk about the bike afterward.
Added Afterthought: about 110 MPH, He passed me like I was Super Glued to the road.

For about three months in the late 1970's the XS1100 Yamaha was the fastest stock bike you could buy. The XJ was the cruiser 'Special' version of that. One of my neighbors in FL had a Midnight Maxim XJ-1100 that had been sitting, his dad offered to sell it to me, but the price was twice what I was willing to pay, he wanted $2K & I offered $1K. Running & not weathered, $2K would have been top-dollar at the time, it was neither. Everyone was into big-bore sportbikes by then, & the XJ was out-of-favor.

One of my friends in MI in the late 1960's while I was in college had a Ferrari 250 GT SWB. He also had a Lotus Super Seven and a Pantera. His father owned an auto parts manufacturing co. I got rides in the Ferrari & the Lotus, but the Pantera he sold before I got to try it. One of my friends in FL had a Mangusta, which I think is one of the cleanest-looking cars of all-time. It was the predecessor to the Pantera.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 12
An Indy car gets about 2 mpg. Average speed realistically around 180 mph. At 60mph a car will go 1 mile a minute. 60 mph X 3 minutes is 18 miles. At 180 mph 3 minutes will be 54 miles. Assuming a Ferrari will get no worst mgp than an Indy car in 54 milles the Ferrari will use 27 gallons of fuel. A 27 gal. fuel tank seems reasonable. But I would be willing to bet an Indy car uses way more fuel.
David

3 minutes at 60mph would be 3 miles.....
3 minutes at 180mph would be 9 miles.

For about three months in the late 1970's the XS1100 Yamaha was the fastest stock bike you could buy. The XJ was the cruiser 'Special' version of that. One of my neighbors in FL had a Midnight Maxim XJ-1100 that had been sitting, his dad offered to sell it to me, but the price was twice what I was willing to pay, he wanted $2K & I offered $1K. Running & not weathered, $2K would have been top-dollar at the time, it was neither. Everyone was into big-bore sportbikes by then, & the XJ was out-of-favor.

One of my friends in MI in the late 1960's while I was in college had a Ferrari 250 GT SWB. He also had a Lotus Super Seven and a Pantera. His father owned an auto parts manufacturing co. I got rides in the Ferrari & the Lotus, but the Pantera he sold before I got to try it. One of my friends in FL had a Mangusta, which I think is one of the cleanest-looking cars of all-time. It was the predecessor to the Pantera.

I had a couple XS11's, even rode one from the factory with a Turbo. The XJ had YICS, the predecessor to Vboost. It was a Rocket, 147 indicated 1 up 142 two up. Still not real sure that even SkullDuggery would be competition for it. The dealer that got it from me on a trade gave me 3 times book and offered me a job tuning bikes.:confused2:

That original post qualifies as the best piece of writing I've seen on this forum practically ever...Awesome post, awesome story....Do you write for a living?

Gas mileage, cop story thing?

At first that story sounds like total bullshit, but;

I think its plausible but exaggerated perhaps.
Who knows what that car gets in MPG when running at the limit.
Dave's post had the right idea although his math shows he might have been spending too much time imbibing the local product down there.

180-190mph I bet for sure is 5 MPG or less. Probably a lot less.
And I'm betting a Ferrari doesn't have more than a 20 gallon tank tops, few cars do...
20 gallons x 5 MPG is 100 miles. Running 180 at a consumption of 5MPG you would cover that 100 miles in around 33 minutes.

That's if the chase story started with a full 20 gallons.

But what's the real WOT @ Top Speed mileage and actual gas tank size???

..the instantaneous gas mileage on my Company 1/2 Chevy p/u with a 4.8L V8 shows about 4 mpg at WOT when accelerating through about 75, although I suspect as speed plateaued the mileage would come up a little after its done accelerating.
(You have to cheat the system on my truck, as it doesn't give instantaneous, by resetting the MPG while taking off to get the initial read before it has enough data to start averaging)

I had a 1998 Seadoo XP Limited, 950cc, 3 Cylinder 2 stoke, that would empty a 16 gallon tank in 40 minutes of WOT operation. I proved it a few times doing a Barrel Racing Course I set up.

That original post qualifies as the best piece of writing I've seen on this forum practically ever...Awesome post, awesome story....Do you write for a living?

Gas mileage, cop story thing?

At first that story sounds like total bullshit, but;

I think its plausible but exaggerated perhaps.
Who knows what that car gets in MPG when running at the limit.
Dave's post had the right idea although his math shows he might have been spending too much time imbibing the local product down there.

180-190mph I bet for sure is 5 MPG or less. Probably a lot less.
And I'm betting a Ferrari doesn't have more than a 20 gallon tank tops, few cars do...

Yup! I blew the math part real good.
David
20 gallons x 5 MPG is 100 miles. Running 180 at a consumption of 5MPG you would cover that 100 miles in around 33 minutes.

That's if the chase story started with a full 20 gallons.

But what's the real WOT @ Top Speed mileage and actual gas tank size???

..the instantaneous gas mileage on my Company 1/2 Chevy p/u with a 4.8L V8 shows about 4 mpg at WOT when accelerating through about 75, although I suspect as speed plateaued the mileage would come up a little after its done accelerating.
(You have to cheat the system on my truck, as it doesn't give instantaneous, by resetting the MPG while taking off to get the initial read before it has enough data to start averaging)

I had a 1998 Seadoo XP Limited, 950cc, 3 Cylinder 2 stoke, that would empty a 16 gallon tank in 40 minutes of WOT operation. I proved it a few times doing a Barrel Racing Course I set up.

Yup! I blew the math part for sure.
David

I had a couple XS11's, even rode one from the factory with a Turbo. The XJ had YICS, the predecessor to Vboost. It was a Rocket, 147 indicated 1 up 142 two up. Still not real sure that even SkullDuggery would be competition for it. The dealer that got it from me on a trade gave me 3 times book and offered me a job tuning bikes.:confused2:

Dave, not that you need it, but come-see this 9K miles example, asking price $1500! south FL. Looks pretty-clean, to me.
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/3832129547.html

I think the Viragos then had a similar handlebar system. These bikes are hell-bent for strong, they can take a lot of hot rodding mods. The XS11 engine family was popular here when they were new, for turbos. The American Turbo Pak Kawasaki 1000's, the Z1-R's weren't as-fast and they were 10 second bikes in a major magazine road test of the day. The Snap-On distributor here in Ft. Lauderdale at the time, Bob Lacoste, had an XS-11 he kept in immaculate shape, and he said there were few people who could run him & win, for streetbikes you could legally ride in traffic, not some illegal street-racer running on Krome Ave. in Miami FL at 1 a.m.

Dig the price on this! (an OLD thread, don't get excited): http://www.turborick.com/turbobike/archive/0902.html

My garage is overflowing already.:sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2:

Yeah, but for $1200 cash, maybe less, it's yours! How often do we get to re-live our youth?

I've been with guys who had disposable income who spent that at a stripper bar.

You know you want it. (No, not the time at the stripper bar!)

Latest posts

Back