How long does it take to remove/install carbs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
I hate working on carbs (I hate working period!), now I have to do it again, because one (?) of them has leaking float valve OR $10 fuel pump pumps too much pressure.
How long does it take for experienced Vmax mechanic to remove/install carbs?
Plan:
diagnose which carb is leaking
hit it with sledge hammer;)to get float moving
if it doesn't work:
remove carbs

15 minutes to remove. Same to install.
I'd like to see that. I'd estimate around 1 hour.

remove fake tank
remove screws for vents
remove scoops
remove airbox
remove LH panel with electronics to be able to undo throttle cables
undo 4 clamps connecting carb boots to air box
disconnect hose from fuel pump
wrestle with carbs to get them off the boots - I lever them off wuth a piece of wood

to reassemble, remove overflow tank in order to attach vent tube to airbox, then refit tank

note you can get away by splitting into pairs (i wasn't able to undo all the bolts to the brakets) - but all carb bases can be removed, one of them is particualry tricky due to overflow pipe getting in the way but can be done - obviously made easier if spit into individual units.

remove fake tank
remove screws for vents
remove scoops
remove airbox
wrestle with carbs to get them off the boots - I lever them off wuth a piece of wood

to reassemble, remove overflow tank in order to attach vent tube to airbox, then refit tank

note you can get away by splitting into pairs (i wasn't able to undo all the bolts to the brakets) - but all carb bases can be removed, one of them is particualry tricky due to overflow pipe getting in the way but can be done - obviously made easier if spit into individual units.
As shown, a lot can be done including splitting the rack with the throttle cable's intact.
20210929_152902.jpg

I hate working on carbs (I hate working period!), now I have to do it again, because one (?) of them has leaking float valve OR $10 fuel pump pumps too much pressure.
How long does it take for experienced Vmax mechanic to remove/install carbs?
Plan:
diagnose which carb is leaking
hit it with sledge hammer;)to get float moving
if it doesn't work:
remove carbs
I find this surprising as reading many of your posts I took you for a tinker' that enjoys finding different ways to do things. If I had to guess I'd say your frustrated by the setback hence the sledge hammer. With the exception of my Harley, the Max is the easiest carb removal of many if have done. My Voyager is an absolute bear to remove/install. I'd wait until you are in a headspace where time is irrelevant and you can enjoy the process.

As an addition, I do all that plus I’m upside down using mirrors also, it’s a good test on oneself. :confused:
Yea, my latest challenge was to rev it to redline, remove and replace the rack before the R.P.Ms. dropped enough to stall the motor.
I'm usually re-attaching the fuel line about 1250-1000 rpm, so I've pretty much
got my routine polished......

I find this surprising as reading many of your posts I took you for a tinker' that enjoys finding different ways to do things. If I had to guess I'd say your frustrated by the setback hence the sledge hammer. With the exception of my Harley, the Max is the easiest carb removal of many if have done. My Voyager is an absolute bear to remove/install. I'd wait until you are in a headspace where time is irrelevant and you can enjoy the process.
Man is that ever good advice. Great advice!👍

You all are much speedier than I. It takes me 15 minutes just to find my 10 mm socket !
Are you even sure thats what you will use first 😂
How much additional time will you add on to find your cross head driver and hex keys ;)

remove fake tank
remove screws for vents
remove scoops
remove airbox

I agree with you. Those who do it in 15 minutes have taken their carbs off so many times because they did not fix their problem the first time!

Latest posts

Back