How loud is too loud?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDIMD

Reaction score
I read a lot of posts that riders say their pipes are very loud and need to wear earplugs. Am curious what people consider loud. My stock vmax with hindle slip ons are quiet in my opinion. I just received the 4-1 pipes/headers from a forum member and will have them put on in a few weeks.

I have a harley dyna with a 107" motor (1700cc) with efi. It has a 2-1 bassani pipe with short baffles which most consider to be loud but not so loud I need to wear earplugs unless going out of town. Are these pipes in that same loudness range?

There arent many other vmaxs around here for me to compare. Just curious on what to expect when I have these put on.

Thanks

I have 4-2-2 UFO exhausts and they are goddam loud. It's made worse by the fact that they sound rubbish too. Really metallic and piercing (some love it)...

In contrast my mate has a Harley fat bob with pipes and it's as loud but somehow manages to be inoffensive at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wind noise at highway speeds (and sometimes less) is enough to damage your hearing. I wear earplugs every time I get on the bike. If those are the UFO pipes you got the other day, they are going to be a LOT louder than what you're used to. You might like it, though.

I agree with the wind noise comment. Extended cruising even with a full face helmet will damage hearing even on an otherwise quite bike.
About like driving with the window down, lots of truckers were "deaf in the left" back in the non AC days.

OSHA 8 hr exposure limit, which is the Db level that will damage hearing, is 85 Db, about like a quite lawn mower.

Yes. when on the highway, I wear earplugs. The HJC modular I have is noisy. Around town, I wear a HJC 3/4 which is pretty quiet.

A couple of vrods around here are obnoxiously loud, they run basically drag pipes without baffles. So I guess thats what I can should expect then.

Depending on what pipes and mufflers you have it might not be that bad. I have the original UFO's with the cans that are re-packable units and look about like the Marks and others, they are no where near as loud and raspy sounding as the later UFO pipes with the megaphone type mufflers that look like they are not repackable.
The ones I have the tone can be changed considerably just by re packing them.

I've heard the latest UFO's in person and don't think they are anywhere near as loud as a Harley 2-1 with no baffles if that helps.

The mega's can be repacked, it's just that they don't hold much packing as the perforated core is big enough to create a black hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the NIOSH standard is that 85 dB time weighted average OVER 8 hrs. OSHA is 90, but business is required to have a hearing conservation program in place for 85dB and over.

Where I work, single hearing protection is required at 85dB, and double hearing protection required at 105 dB.

Well the NIOSH standard is that 85 dB time weighted average OVER 8 hrs. OSHA is 90, but business is required to have a hearing conservation program in place for 85dB and over.

Where I work, single hearing protection is required at 85dB, and double hearing protection required at 105 dB.

Thanks for the clarification.

I get the two mixed up, to me it's just guys with no real function holding up the job...

A "PROGRESS ATTENUATION" department if you will...

Thanks for the clarification.

I get the two mixed up, to me it's just guys with no real function holding up the job...

A "PROGRESS ATTENUATION" department if you will...

LOL....that I can understand. On the platform that I'm on we have gone 9 years without an OSHA recordable.

Awesome! That's me turning away. How cool is that. Thanks for posting.

Dale

I've heard the latest UFO's in person and don't think they are anywhere near as loud as a Harley 2-1 with no baffles if that helps.[/QUOTE]

I sold my UFO classic mufflers , way too loud, people were wincing and covering their kids ears. Cool for a while but on a trip even with earplugs, it was loud, if my mate was following on his guzzi ( with mistral pipes) he couldn't hear his bike.

How many db is the vmax with stock exhaust? 85?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I can't remember the exact number, but my UFO s were about 96 db at idle.
You were shouting at the person standing on the other side of the bike.

Back