How many HP do you really need?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
Based on my "old fart" riding style I don't need more that 50.

What is your goal? If it is to simply reach peak mph allowed on a highway then you can likely achieve that with the 20-30hp range (or less). If you want to get there quicker so you don't get your butt run over when accelerating onto the ramp then you need more.

Well I have a 2nd Gen with an exhaust and air box mod along with the guru tune and I’m probably going to need another 100hp! Just kidding!!!!! The bike was plenty fast enough the way I got it but it already had an exhaust but not the right tune. I think it’s much faster with the mods but easier to ride if that makes sense so I’m good with 200bhp do I use it? No, the first Gen was probably more than I needed as well. I usually cruise but when I need to it’s there.

Well I have a 2nd Gen with an exhaust and air box mod along with the guru tune and I’m probably going to need another 100hp! Just kidding!!!!! The bike was plenty fast enough the way I got it but it already had an exhaust but not the right tune. I think it’s much faster with the mods but easier to ride if that makes sense so I’m good with 200bhp do I use it? No, the first Gen was probably more than I needed as well. I usually cruise but when I need to it’s there.
Yeah I have to agree having all the power with a down shift and a twist really gets me every time more then enough
I would be surprised if many people actually can get a handle on the big bitch they are nasty

Hoping to get over 500hp. 200 is lame if you ask me. 4th and 5th gear really could use a lot more power for sure.

Hoping to get over 500hp. 200 is lame if you ask me. 4th and 5th gear really could use a lot more power for sure.
Yes, 200 is lame if your on 4 wheels but 200 on 2 wheels is far from lame especially to be riding on the streets everyday. Now a track bike maybe it's borderline lame so I guess it all depends on the riding arrangements. Just my opinion obviously. What it really needs is the 6th gear that would make a HUGE difference.

Wow! “500” I couldn’t imagine myself needing that much hp on a motorcycle. I know there are faster bikes than mine, but mine is fast enough for me. Besides if something pulls up next to me that is faster I throw my feet on my highway pegs and let them listen to my amazing sounding exhaust. It’s all good! I’ll move over so they can go by.

I would say 50bhp.

Yiu really need to be able to cruise at 80mph and have sufficient power /gearing to overtake another vehicle travelling at 70mph.

Nowadays the roads are so crowded and policed that it is risky going over 90mph (get caught doing >100mph and you're banned from driving /riding).

I would say 50bhp.

Yiu really need to be able to cruise at 80mph and have sufficient power /gearing to overtake another vehicle travelling at 70mph.

Nowadays the roads are so crowded and policed that it is risky going over 90mph (get caught doing >100mph and you're banned from driving /riding).
Don't get caught. It's always worked for me.

I would say 50bhp.

radar detector and Waze are a good combo

The old saying still rings true. “It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. My ‘65 Triumph has something like 46 hp and it is a blast to rip around town. That being said my TLR has 132HP at the rear wheels and when Chad in his GT500 wants to get squirrelly I love what happens next.

Enough to achieve warp 10, then I can exist everywhere in time and space simultaneously

I had some 650cc Yamaha, it was very light and pretty fast. It was fun to ride.

A friend of mine. Had a drag bike.with turbo that ran on alcohol. 2 speed gearbox. He said you hold it wide open. Till you see God. Then you shift. He had one race. Where he beat the other bike. But the win light went to the guy he beat. Photo finish. Showed my friend won.His front wheel was in the air.And didn't trip the light. His bike was 18' long. From front to back of wheelie bar. Yet he still always wanted. More horsepower.

Back