How many of you had a Wham-O Wheelie bar?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't need one. Rode wheelies all up and down the neighborhood w/o any assistance.

Kinda weird how I stopped doing wheelies, even stopped wanting to do wheelies, as soon as I became motorized. Never understood the difference, but that is what happened. It may have had something to do with that cracked tailbone I incurred early on after I got my first 3hp Scat Cat minibike.

First time I've ever seen these. Most of the kids riding have bare feet:ummm: And where are there helmets. That is a law you know. Ahhh, the good old days:eusa_dance:

Hell, we just stuck a playing card to the fender support with a clothes pin. Let the spokes make the noise. The faster you were the faster you sounded...

No wheelie bar here either, we spent most of the time riding in the dirt trails. We used to ask at church for anyone with old bikes they didn't want and we would take them apart to build all different bikes; 24" wheel/ forks on a 20" frame or a 20" wheel on a 24" frame with the 20" cranks so our feet would hit the ground. Some of those contraptions could wheelie all day long!

No wheelie bar here until I went on the dragstrip. Even then not as fun as without except for the 1.24 60' times lol!

I didn't even have much in the way of a bicycle growing up. I think I had one but the one I really liked was stolen not long after I got it. One of those very cool Banana seated bikes with a "slick" looking car type tire on it. Can't remember the model?

Schwinn Orange Crate, or Lemon Peeler or maybe just the Siingray?

No wheelie bar here until I went on the dragstrip. Even then not as fun as without except for the 1.24 60' times lol!

I didn't even have much in the way of a bicycle growing up. I think I had one but the one I really liked was stolen not long after I got it. One of those very cool Banana seated bikes with a "slick" looking car type tire on it. Can't remember the model?
Schwin stingray with a cheater slick I think it was called. Here is one but I don't recall the front fender nor a light option. You were way cool if you had one of these!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201063482475?lpid=82
I only ever had one bike that was bought for me, otherwise we built them or save up our allowance @ $3.00 a week to buy one. I did save up for a 10 speed Western Flyer by washing dishes at a restaurant when I was 13 years old so I could ride it back an forth to work. 11 miles one way which included 2 miles on a gravel road!

Schwin stingray with a cheater slick I think it was called. Here is one but I don't recall the front fender nor a light option. You were way cool if you had one of these!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201063482475?lpid=82
I only ever had one bike that was bought for me, otherwise we built them or save up our allowance @ $3.00 a week to buy one. I did save up for a 10 speed Western Flyer by washing dishes at a restaurant when I was 13 years old so I could ride it back an forth to work. 11 miles one way which included 2 miles on a gravel road!

Damn! Thats a lot of money for a bicycle!

Makes me wonder what I could get for the old orange crate in my grandmas shed. Its in decent shape.

I was too-old for the Schwinn Sting Ray phenomenon. I did enjoy getting for a teen birthday a Raleigh English bike w/a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed rear hub, candy apple red & SS spokes that made a beautiful 'spiderweb' as the sun hit the spokes. I rode that until I got my license. Now I have a Klein offroad bike & a Litespeed Ti road bike. I've had them for many years and each cost more than my first car, truck or motorcycle.

The Schwinns & other banana seat bikes made companies a lot of $$$.

The Krate bikes demand a premium on the Bay.........Especially an unrestored origional in good shape!!............Those things sold for $100 new in 69-70.................Tom.

Latest posts

Back