How many straps do you use?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
Lately I use 5 straps (5th one from front wheel forward) and a rope right to left thru triple tree. I use car tow dolly with a few boards 2x12x8 on toptow.jpg

Last edited:
4 straps but 2 will do just fine, triple tree to side. The other 2 are always passenger pegs to side as backup incase a front strap breaks.

5 is fine if you like extra work, 4 will always be sufficient for regular long haul towing, 2 minimum if you are doing just a short easy move just down the street.

Depends on size of the straps. I use one each side on the front if using my 2" Pingel straps. No need for me to get the front wheel only since I almost always pull into a wheel chock. If using the standard straps I double up each side so 4 in the front. The rear depends on how many other bikes i am pulling at the same time. I will sometimes put straps on the rear with just enough tension only to prevent it from walking sideways into another bike.

I may likely have towed more bikes for more distance (at one time) then most others can say. The only time we ever had an issue (knock on wood) was when using an old open three rail trailer and I only had one strap each on the front. Nearly lost the bike on a hard bump that flexed the trailer and the hook came loose! My Pingles won't do that since they have the flange lock on them.

Attachments

• 2011-02-27_17-58-11_931.jpg
    2011-02-27_17-58-11_931.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20180414_095654.jpg
    IMG_20180414_095654.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 29
I inadvertently performed a strength test on a cheap harbor freight ratchet strap. I had it cinched across the front of my truck bed and forgot to tie the loose end. the loose end eventually got sucked in between the bed and the cab and found its way to my drive shaft at which point I heard a tremendous bang, immediately pulling over while muttering WTF. Upon inspection I found the front of my bed bent a few inches in a V shaped crease and looking under the truck found the remainder of the strap wrapped around the drive line. I have since never forgotten to tie down the loose end and have not thought about a strap or ratchet giving up while hauling a bike, damn things are pretty strong.

I use front wheel chock, 2 soft short straps to go around forks, then 1 ratcheting strap on each side of bike attached to the soft straps. Then a ratcheting strap on each side of rear wheel to stop any movement. Bought a winch type loader for my truck but haven't decided if it is better to put onto my utility trailer or not. I have a nice black Chevy shortbox 4x4 and don't want to spoil the looks by having the loader sticking out all the time.

I’ve carried my VMax around allot more than it’s been driven. Looks like I tie it in with a combination of most of the above, the system has evolved over time, but Trigger does not move in the van even with hard braking.

Front wheel chock (brilliant item for in the van) and front forks both sides with ratchet straps heading towards the rear of the van, rear of bike with two more ratchet straps heading forward, then one more strap going end to end through back wheel to stop the back end skipping out. It’s probably overkill but I have taken away the bulkhead divider in the van and there would make an incredible mess if it came loose under emergency stop.

I had a mate that was in a crash with his mate actually sitting on a bike in the rear of his van. His own words were it was a very bad mess. 🚑 I tried it myself once, and it’s damn near impossible to hold it up even going slow round corners.

I inadvertently performed a strength test on a cheap harbor freight ratchet strap. I had it cinched across the front of my truck bed and forgot to tie the loose end. the loose end eventually got sucked in between the bed and the cab and found its way to my drive shaft at which point I heard a tremendous bang, immediately pulling over while muttering WTF. Upon inspection I found the front of my bed bent a few inches in a V shaped crease and looking under the truck found the remainder of the strap wrapped around the drive line. I have since never forgotten to tie down the loose end and have not thought about a strap or ratchet giving up while hauling a bike, damn things are pretty strong.
Holy sh##! :(

Back