How many "Used" miles is to many?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgotko

Reaction score
Like many, I've wanted a Vmax since the 1st day I saw one. :baby:

I would like my 1st Vmax purchase not to be a pain in my wallet; unless I want it to be. And I know I will.

Is there any consensus what so ever from current owners on how many miles are to many miles when purchasing a used Vmax?

Be careful with one that's +100,000 miles. :)

It all depends on the previous owner(s).
If it was maintained well, or rode hard and put away wet would be the biggest factor to consider. A 05 with 60,000 can be better than a 85 with 10,000. Bikes don't like to sit around and age in the garage. Likewise a 85 with 60,000 can be better than a 05 with 10,000. Those could be hard miles on the new one. You need to check it out and decide for yourself if you can live with it or not. A Vmax holds value pretty well, and you don't want to pay six thousand bucks for a 2000 model thats been beat to hell.

I almost passed on my 86 because it only had 21,000 on the odometer and had a mouse living under the seat, inside of a tractor shed. I'm glad she's mine though... she's a good one!

I'm not much of a used bike kind of guy anymore but I am unusual as I am VERY anal about the way something looks... Scratches and oil leaks will keep me up at night...:bang head:

The Vmax is a very reliable bike. I would go into it knowing you want a '93 or later so that you start with upgraded forks and brakes. It is really up to you but those are big in MY book.

I agree with the post above though. :thumbs up:

Last edited:
:cheers: Thanks eatatjoz, 4gasem
& any others yet to express their valued opinion.

Both comments above are directly on track with what I have been thinking and researching up to this point. Nothing speaks like experience, and I?m definitely old enough to listen to free advice from the experienced and take my time with a purchase. (although the itch has already nearly killed me...) I?ve been tracking, reading & pricing all that I can find on the internet. I thought it time to start talking with "Real" owners and getting real feedback. Any more opinions or thoughts would be appreciated. By the way, what happen in 87? Not a production year?

:cheers: Thanks eatatjoz, 4gasem
& any others yet to express their valued opinion.

Both comments above are directly on track with what I have been thinking and researching up to this point. Nothing speaks like experience, and I?m definitely old enough to listen to free advice from the experienced and take my time with a purchase. (although the itch has already nearly killed me...) I?ve been tracking, reading & pricing all that I can find on the internet. I thought it time to start talking with "Real" owners and getting real feedback. Any more opinions or thoughts would be appreciated. By the way, what happen in 87? Not a production year?

I believe Yamaha stepped back and made some changes to the transmission and other small things to make them more reliable...:thumbs up:

I would suggest getting a bike that has the accessories you are interested in. Things like pipes, windshields, seats, or whatever you may like. Finding a bike with some of the accessories you like will probably save you some money in the end.:thumbs up:

There's a a screaming deal on a 98 vmax in houston Texas.$6000,Its done up nice,low miles.One of Paul Czernics friends that lived here in Pittsburgh before moving down there last summer.It has the flamed paint job won at thunder 2 years ago(John Baltera).Stage 7,HMF exhaust,Works shocks,after market rear sets and pegs.This bike was tuned and maintained by Paul for years.He is selling it because he has no time away from work.

I recommend this bike to anyone here looking for a Vmax.

PM me for the contact info for pics and phone numbers.

I would try and buy one that is bone stock. People who modify their bikes to make more power 'usually' beat the crap out of them. Also if you buy one with mods you run the risk of dealing with some shadetree's possible hack job in the future. Look at the bolts around the engine to see if they have been removed or loosened, a sign of possible past engine/tranny failure/issues. Also look under the rear fender for rubber shavings (a red flag for burnouts). If the seller says 'Its never been beat on/raced, etc.", it probably has been or he would not of even thought to say it. Another good thing to do before you buy, that most wouldn't think about is call the service provider or dealer that did the maintanence and/or repairs on it and ask about recent work or recommedations for repair. The guy I bought my Max from had all the work, even oil changes, done at a local dealer. They were more than willing to go over all past services, repairs and inspection results when I told them I was thinking about buying the bike.

I would try and buy one that is bone stock. People who modify their bikes to make more power 'usually' beat the crap out of them. Also if you buy one with mods you run the risk of dealing with some shadetree's possible hack job in the future.

I agree with that...:thumbs up:

When I install parts I use Anti-seize on most of the threads and the ones I don't I use Loc-tite. I grease parts that are supposed to be greased. I torque parts that are supposed to be torqued.

A lot of people just install stuff and don't think about how important these things are...

There's a a screaming deal on a 98 vmax in houston Texas.$6000,Its done up nice,low miles.One of Paul Czernics friends that lived here in Pittsburgh before moving down there last summer.It has the flamed paint job won at thunder 2 years ago(John Baltera).Stage 7,HMF exhaust,Works shocks,after market rear sets and pegs.This bike was tuned and maintained by Paul for years.He is selling it because he has no time away from work.

I recommend this bike to anyone here looking for a Vmax.

PM me for the contact info for pics and phone numbers.

I would not be afraid to buy this bike!

Attachments

• snapshot.jpg
    snapshot.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 57
  • snap shot 2.jpg
    snap shot 2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 89
  • snapshot 3.jpg
    snapshot 3.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Bought my 04 Max this year and it had only 3000KM on it (about 1800 miles) and was pretty much bone stock other than the Yamaha windsheild.

Lucked out really because the only other Max's around here were about the same price, way more miles and not stock at all.

Good luck and good searching :D

Well guys, her she....

I fired it up this morning and noticed that sputter again. It seemed to go away once it was completely warm and the choke was off. Hmmm, has me a little concerned..... :confused2:

I need to get some miles on it and see if there are to be any surprises.

The buyers remorse is killing me. I think I need to go for a ride.

Thanks Again....Jason

Attachments

• P1010049.jpg
    P1010049.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 41
  • P1010050.jpg
    P1010050.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 41
  • P1010051.jpg
    P1010051.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010052.jpg
    P1010052.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010053.jpg
    P1010053.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 57
Well guys, her she....

I fired it up this morning and noticed that sputter again. It seemed to go away once it was completely warm and the choke was off. Hmmm, has me a little concerned..... :confused2:

I need to get some miles on it and see if there are to be any surprises.

The buyers remorse is killing me. I think I need to go for a ride.

Thanks Again....Jason

OMG... That thing is clean as hell... I think only my '06 might be slightly cleaner...:surprise:

Looks like a good deal anyway!

I get buyers remorse SO bad...:bang head: The SV was bad overnight and then I rode it again and haven't looked back... The Vmax was a impulse buy after breaking up with my fiance so it took about 3 or 4 months to look at it in a different light... I bought it the day after breaking it off with her...:biglaugh: :thumbs up:

Anyway... I would put a 1/4 or 1/2 a can of seafoam in the tank and ride the piss out of it...:banana:

What year is she?

Last edited:
You shouldn't have any buyer's remorse, that is a nice clean bike :thumbs up:and it is VMax red, so it is the fastest year! :whistlin:
4gasem is right, start off with some Seafoam in the gas tank. As a VMax owner you will find carb maintenance to be part of the joy of owning the VMax! :cheers:

I agree with you guys, that is a nice clean bike, I bet you don't have allot of miles on it either ! That's the problem, you need to ride it a bit more. Take it out and run some gas through it. Unless properly done for storage, IMHO it's better to ride it than have it just sit there. Pick the nice weather days and get out there.:cheers:

Very clean 92! A seafoam fuel treatment is not going to hurt it one bit. Of course you are ready to see me on the chrome!

Sean

I'll go pick some SeaFoam today and give that a shot; thank you all.

The last time I had a bike I had hair.:icon_rolleyes: It's been a while to say the least. So before I ride the living piss out of this machine (which I fully intend to do... No problem there) I need to complete a 3-day safety course starting on 6/29. The wait is already killing me but the classes are all full until then. My new helmet(s) should be here any day along with my cover & maint./repair manual. I'm on a 2-week vaction. Sitting here staring at my shiny new bike and not riding (other than around the block) is killing me! The only thing that has helped is the fact that it has been piss'n rain here in Michigan for most the past week.

The bike definetly needs a horn that one can hear. I can't beleive the factory horn. Why did they even bother? A kids "Ringgggg....Ringgggg" thumb actuated bell is louder than that POS.

:grinch: Hmmmm.... Maybe I can steal the little gril's bell from next door. Yes......Yes..

Hey, anyone care to comment on: "Are the simple stock exhust modifications found in the forum worth the little effort for the sound or should I just keep saving $$ and take care of some real business next year?" Thanks......Jason

I'll go pick some SeaFoam today and give that a shot; thank you all.

The last time I had a bike I had hair.:icon_rolleyes: It's been a while to say the least. So before I ride the living piss out of this machine (which I fully intend to do... No problem there) I need to complete a 3-day safety course starting on 6/29. The wait is already killing me but the classes are all full until then. My new helmet(s) should be here any day along with my cover & maint./repair manual. I'm on a 2-week vaction. Sitting here staring at my shiny new bike and not riding (other than around the block) is killing me! The only thing that has helped is the fact that it has been piss'n rain here in Michigan for most the past week.

The bike definetly needs a horn that one can hear. I can't beleive the factory horn. Why did they even bother? A kids "Ringgggg....Ringgggg" thumb actuated bell is louder than that POS.

:grinch: Hmmmm.... Maybe I can steal the little gril's bell from next door. Yes......Yes..

Hey, anyone care to comment on: "Are the simple stock exhust modifications found in the forum worth the little effort for the sound or should I just keep saving $$ and take care of some real business next year?" Thanks......Jason

Personally, I'd save up for a full exhaust system which then could do double duty as a LOUD horn, especially if you got something like a 2.5 inch Kerker.

I've got 118,500 miles on my '85, but it's not for sale!:confused2:

Never even had the heads off, either..........

Bill,Have you been honing on it all these years?I rebuilt mine at $36,000 miles.If it blows up I'll do it again,big bore.

Back