how much hp?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffroy

Reaction score
hello everybody

i just bought a 1996 vmax. i was wondering how much hp you guys would think it has.

the engine is stock, its got supertrapp pipesand headers and ufo vgas carbs and bonnets(no air filters).

thanks jeff

not sure how much more you get with supertrapps ( sure kyle might drop a line since he's got some) but they are pretty much same hp throughout the years. with pipes and jet kits guys are getting 117-125hp more with good tune. congrats on the new buy, if you end up down west of Mtl let me know we should go for a ride.

:confused2: Without a good set of pipes I'd guess 115 RWHP. Let us know he you get on the Dyno. Spur

I would guess about 116-118. The trapps are good for sound but offer very little hp gain. your being restricted by the size of the stock pipes thats feeding them.

If you were to go to a full system like a Kerker, Marks, UFO, DW's holeshots, etc. You would take more advantage of the carbs you have and more than likely be in the 120's at the wheel.

I did not notice any HP gains with my Supertrapp slip-ons........

But it sounds WAY better than stock:eusa_dance:

I don't know what you mean by headers........the 'Trapps are slip-ons that use the stock pipes......they replace the HEAVY stock mufflers.

thanks everybody...i'll try and get it dinoed as quickly as possible...

and yeah...sorry about that, i only have the slip-ons...

great sound with the supertrapps....

is it weird to see vgas with oem headers?

Yea, with the slip-ons and UFO's he's probably actually lower HP then I tried to give him credit for. Plus crappy fuel mileage and no choke.

Sean

Yeah... vgas and stock headers is VERY strange... Unless they're supertrapp mufflers on another header setup.

i've got all the stock equipment...i'll just reinstall the stock carbs it that setup is really not any good!

it is bizarre that the ufo carbs dont have a choke..its rather difficult to start up.

for the gas mileage...thats probably why the guy i bought it from got a custom made gas tank to replace the hood (7 liters) and a bigger fuel tank underneath the seat (20 liters).

i'll start off by driving it around alittle and see what it feels like...

thanks alot for your advice

Jeff

i've got all the stock equipment...i'll just reinstall the stock carbs it that setup is really not any good!

it is bizarre that the ufo carbs dont have a choke..its rather difficult to start up.

for the gas mileage...thats probably why the guy i bought it from got a custom made gas tank to replace the hood (7 liters) and a bigger fuel tank underneath the seat (20 liters).

i'll start off by driving it around alittle and see what it feels like...

thanks alot for your advice

Jeff

If you knew Jon (owner of UFO) you'd understand... SNAKE IN THE GRASS! :damn angry:

A well setup set of stock carbs can get really close to the flat slides power with MUCH more reliability...

I have a stock motor 1985 that was built by Jon at UFO with Kerker pipe and VGAS carbs and it made 139.6 hp on the dyno last year ! As far as gas milage, who cares its a vmax, I get 100 miles on a tank before I switch it on reserve and no problem with starting with no choke. I had a brand new stock 03 and it was hard to start even with a choke and not even close to the same power of my 85. The dyno pull from last year was at the J&P cycle party last year. Mostly all Harley people but when I pull thru the crowd with carbs rattlin they flocked around it like they had never seen a vmax before! Im pretty sure I could have sold that bike that day. And they didnt seem to mind that there wasnt a Harley close to it on the dyno.

Last edited:
:punk: Good Job Dangerous. Always good to hear a positve UFO story. Great numbers on your bike also. Welcome to the Forum. Later, Spur

I have a stock motor 1895 that was built by Jon at UFO with Kerker pipe and VGAS carbs and it made 139.6 hp on the dyno last year ! As far as gas milage, who cares its a vmax, I get 100 miles on a tank before I switch it on reserve and no problem with starting with no choke. I had a brand new stock 03 and it was hard to start even with a choke and not even close to the same power of my 85. The dyno pull from last year was at the J&P cycle party last year. Mostly all Harley people but when I pull thru the crowd with carbs rattlin they flocked around it like they had never seen a vmax before! Im pretty sure I could have sold that bike that day. And they didnt seem to mind that there wasnt a Harley close to it on the dyno.

Damn! First model max... 1895... :biglaugh:

I've been to J&P several times and plan to go again this year. Not sure if it'll be with the max or the SV though. Only live about an hour away.
Chris

I am only 20 minutes from J&P and will be there this year. A friend I work with is talking smack about my vmax and wants to put his Harley on the dyno agianst me. Im sick of him running his mouth so I told him this wont be a friendly race its gonna be for money!

That should be fun!

You should come with us to the vmax rally in East Peoria... Should be a ton of us there.

Chris

when is it? And im not sure where that is. I know where Bettendorf is, thats where I bought my Mustang.

Back