how much of a pain? solid motor mounts?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
I have been looking into switching to solid billet motor mounts to improve handling because I cant afford engine bars(even though I want them SO bad!)

So the question is how hard is it to switch the engine mounts? I dont wanna pull my motor, I would preffer to pull the old ones one and slide the new ones in while still on the bike if possible.

Does it really do all they say for handling? Does the vibration become an issue?(I dont want my Max looking like a Harley at stop lights shaking all of its bolts out on the ground)

So far I have found the sets for around $80,any other cheap sources?
Im just kinda fishing for input to see if this is right for me.:ummm:

I have been looking into switching to solid billet motor mounts to improve handling because I cant afford engine bars(even though I want them SO bad!)

So the question is how hard is it to switch the engine mounts? I dont wanna pull my motor, I would preffer to pull the old ones one and slide the new ones in while still on the bike if possible.

Does it really do all they say for handling? Does the vibration become an issue?(I dont want my Max looking like a Harley at stop lights shaking all of its bolts out on the ground)

Check this article/how to from vmaxoutlaw site - http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/solid_mounts.htm

You will get some more vibration in the handlebars especially at 5000 rpms, but not unbearable. Definitely, a worthwhile mod IMO.

Mike

talk to Jedi. he may be able to help you out.

I'm stripped down to engine and frame and I'm thinking about removing engine to clean/paint it. Would it be foolish not to do this mod now? Does Jedi manufacture mounts?

hmmm,So aside from ACTUALLY putting the motor on the ground its a full motor pull basically.
Anyone have any opinion on the practicality and how much they really do for handling?

hmmm,So aside from ACTUALLY putting the motor on the ground its a full motor pull basically.
Anyone have any opinion on the practicality and how much they really do for handling?

People have done it without pulling the motor. I think it is the back ones that are a real pain if the motor is still in the bike.

The fronts are easy and you can do them first to see what it's like. The most benefit is by using all of them but even the front 4 does help. The rear 2 can be done with the engine still in the bike. A lot of stuff needs to be taken off but by no means out.

Yes, it is a handling upgrade and I suggest it for any engine that is out at a minimum. There is a side effect of increased vibrations but most people notice it the first time they go ride the bike after install but then not after that.

Jedi probably can make them as a few others on here. OR you can get them directly from Yamaha. I have a few sets on hand most of the time. They run $75 plus shipping.

Sean

I noticed the extra vibes at 4000+ rpm. But only when I'm just slowly accelerating/cruising. You do get used to it. The bike feels "tighter" overall.

Of course if you're always zipping through the gears you don't notice it at all!:punk:

Dale #2592

theres the nice writeup on vmax outlaw. sounds like ya gotta drop the swingarm, but i remember eharing it was easier than taking out the engine.

my plan is to get a bar snake when i do the solid mounts so i should break even with feedback

I am installing the delrin MM this winter but I also have to remove my engine for transmission work. I not sure if I will need to install frame braces and won't if not needed. I wanna keep a clean view of the engine if at all possible.

It's probably about a 3 hour job, less if you have a center stand. The front 4 can be done in about 15 minutes. The back ones require the swingarm be removed to allow the rear of the motor to raise up about 1-1/2" for the new mount to be pushed in after the old one is removed. If you have a stock air box you may have to loosen all those parts also as the motor tips forward when raised with only two of the front mounts are installed. Good Luck, it's not hard, Spur :punk:

well I suppose ill need to sit and look at it for a minute and decide from there,it sounds easy and vibration doesnt bother me so long as its not ganna rattle apart my bike.

I would really like to see how my bike feels with them on and how much "tighter" it is.I like everyhting on my bike tight,no slack. Very responsive,so this looks like the direction for me in terms of handling.

well I suppose ill need to sit and look at it for a minute and decide from there,it sounds easy and vibration doesnt bother me so long as its not ganna rattle apart my bike.

I would really like to see how my bike feels with them on and how much "tighter" it is.I like everyhting on my bike tight,no slack. Very responsive,so this looks like the direction for me in terms of handling.

I really thought that the bike felt a lot more 'firm' with the solid mounts. The front seemed tied in with the rear where it wasn't so much before. I highly recommend them. There are some people that complain about the vibration, but even with the solid mounts my bike vibrates significantly less at speed than the Ducati Monster and HyperMotard I have test ridden recently and 100 million times less than the Buell XB12 I rode awhile back. Also the Max doesn't vibrate until 5k plus where as those other bikes start vibrating at idle and only get worse.

I'm going to install mine in the new year when I come back from my travels.

for the vibes, I'm considering going with the Vibranators (from Ricor). I just got an email from Brian today, offering a 50% discount on them in return for a review of my Intimators. Needless to say the review's in already ;-)

I just went through this install of delrin mounts and this is well worth the effort. You will need to pull your exhaust off also. Dropping the swing arm is easy, getting the shaft lined up on install takes some patience, but no big deal.
You should have at least one small jack for this project to raise the rear of the engine up.

Latest posts

Back