How much would you pay for a basket case?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdk203

Reaction score
So i found an 85 about an hour away. Its in pretty rough shape. The motors blown and a lot of it is dissassembled and in boxes. Also most of the body is pretty beat up looking so no real value there. I am contemplating picking it up as a spare parts bike and also parting some of it out to make back some of my cash. Its missing the carbs and you could pretty much guarantee the motors shot from what i gathered over the phone, also missing one scoop and side cover. What would i be able to sell an unmatched body set that needs repaint for? I have a lot of things like that im unsure of. I may just go for it and hope for the best. If nothing else it will be fun to tinker with.

Some of the 'big ticket' items are already gone or shot.....carbs, body parts, motor...

I'd sure want to look it over carefully to see if there is any value at all to it.

Maybe the frame, if it's good and there's a title, would bring some $'s, wheels, other small parts.

Garrett & I looked at an '85 last year that I wouldn't have taken home for free!! It was total junk!

Does he have a asking price ? I'd go look at it and maybe offer to haul his " junk " away for him @ no charge. :punk:

If the motor's shot, carbs missing, and body useless, I really don't see much of any value there. You could maybe take apart the motor and sell the good bits and a couple other items, but it'd be a lot of work for not much payout. 25 year old OEM parts when new parts are still easily available just don't have much value. At best maybe $100, but "I'll take it away for you" sounds better.

Sounds like this owner bought it as a parts bike, sold the stuff that's worthwhile, and is now trying to sell a "spent" parts bike, also known as scrap.

Get the VIN off it and see how it fits in the "oldest vmax" registry thou.

I would at least take a look even if he asking too much at least you can get a feel as what to ask the next Vmax you find. I would make up a list of things you think you need, how much they go for on Craigs list/ Ebay/ paper and then you can better calculate what you want to pay.

Yeah im kind of thinking the price is too high now too. I really want the seat. It needs a recover but i would like to ditch the corbin on my bike. Also was thinking itd be nice to have some hardware and a set of levers and controls for repainting. I thought maybe the fenders might be worth a few bucks each as well as the faux tank cover maybe 150? He wants 300 for the bike and doesnt seem to want to budge weve been emailing and talking back and forth for a while. Anyone know where i could pick up a seat cheap? Lol

$300 is a fair price if you want to part it out. Swingarm, rear diff, electrical and a few misc will help you recover that easily enough. I would not say you are going to get rich though. Complete body set won't bring much more then $150 if that but only if it's all in solid shape and paintable.

I%27D%20BUY%20THAT%20FOR%20A%20DOLLAR.jpg

:punk: Hey Jdk203, I'd go buy a 12 pack and celibrate not buying a lot of work and mess around the house. Good Luck, Spurs

i wouldnt do it. any part youd take off of it would be peeling, rusting, tarnished, faded, etc.

any more than 250 bucks and id feel uncomfortable. and 250 is being nice

the fact that the carbs are gone means youre gonna spend some serious cash if u ever wanna rebuild this bike to a rideable state. its ok to walk away

Having bought way too many basket cases already, I can enthusiastically say....
That's high fir what you are getting. Whomever said 100 bucks was on. I'd try to trade him something around the house that you wouldn't mind getting rid of. A firearm of some sort, a working chainsaw or small outboard motor. Even a fish tank could be the ticket. Let me just close in saying I got alot more for alot less. Call me a fool but if one is into Vmaxes long term, I would buy undamaged titled 1985 frames for cheap. Strip em' , powdercoat em' black and put em' away.

Back