How much?!?!?!?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unless it has provenance, like owned by T E Lawrance, asking price IMO is somewhat optimistic (by a factor of 100)
T.E. Lawrence, if you please, I think you just had a typo though. ;)

'Asking price optimistic by a figure of 10 might be more-accurate. Pretty-sure that bike, as-is, could easily fetch $8,000 US.

Always good to have the write-up easily available (spelling corrected):
British Anzani V twin Project, unique.
Up for sale is this one of a kind V twin Motorcycle.
Engine is a circa 1924 British Anzarni (sic) V Twin. Originally from an
early aeroplane, from my own research I can tell you that they were
also fitted to Montgomery Motorcycles in the 1920's. It is seized due
to standing for over 60 years in the shed.
My late father, was a prolific amateur motorcycle builder and racer of
the post war period, and had great success in his field. Having
recently passed on, I am now sorting out his collection of british
motorcyles and parts, of which there are many.
The particular bike in question was raced by my father back in the
50s/60s. Whether or not it was wholly built by him I cannot confirm, but I have no doubt he had some input into it. In
sorting out the parts in the collection I have gathered what remains of the machine; engine, forks, frame, gearbox, wheels...
as can be seen from
the pictures. I can identify that the bike is loosly (sic) based on a prewar
Norton. The original tank was missing so I had the one in the picture
mocked up, it will need modification for carbs to fit, and filler caps
etc. Also had a set of engine plates made to build the machine.
(they will need adjusting when properly rebuilt)
From what my father told me years ago the engine pulled like a train.
I was hoping to rebuild this myself and had made a start on the frame
and cycle parts. But I have other bikes of my fathers to build and
unfortunately time is against me. This is a full restoration for
someone to undergo but is a totally unique machine, missing a few
parts but nothing major. There is also a V5 registration document
which relates to the frame.
Ring me for more details and I will do my best to help with any questions 07970 265089

Anzani V-twin.png
Get this operational, and save the 'patina,' in the current market, I suspect this would go for serious money. I'm no classic evaluator or dealer, but preserving the patina on an old crock like this and it would probably sell for more-than one fully restored. They don't even want it cleaned! Looks like the frame, hubs, and wheels already were cleaned and painted.

If you look at the girder front end, it looks like it was painted sometime in the past, but not with the frame/hubs/wheel rims this time. It looks like the front axle is just sitting in the fork dropouts, and there is no nut holding it, nor is there any brake stay or actuation lever or cable.
Some tech millionaire might buy it, and have it made operational, 'don't touch the patina!' and have it as an internal combustion trophy soon to be 100 years old.

The engine is very cool, but my favorite part on the bike is the frame single front downtube and how they accommodated the front cylinder exhaust header.

Anzani v-twin.02.png

Last edited:
I'm not convinced they are unique but certainly rare. (FYI Its founder William Montgomery was an innovator and is credited with the invention of the sidecar.)

One sold for £ 108 k in 2006 but if your wallet is not as deep, you can buy a 1:9 scale model for £ 600.
1663932607907.png

This is how it may look after a lick of paint, fit a pair of carbon fibre exhaust cans = a fine looking bike.

1663932098738.png
And yes, it really does has 4 exhaust pipes: (photo of the same prior to restoration perhaps?)

1663932765375.png

108 k in 2006 is equivalent to 150 k now.

I estimate 20k for parts, most would need to be bespoke machined.

3 months labour, thats another 30 k.

Aiming for 20% profit, it would need to go under the hammer for 156 k.

It needs someone like J Leno to be in the auction toom.

Broughs, especially the Superior with either of the two engines usually used for that model, are the cream of the crop, It doesn't have to be used by a British military hero who served in Palestine to be worth $$$$, but the provenance helps. Look at the Steve McQueen values on cars, bikes (his recent Husqvarna sale price) even his toolbox contents; look at the sale price of James Dean's Porsche car transaxle. Fame is an intangible that can send the value of pieces of transportation history soaring. This one has no special value-added from 'owned by a famous person,' but I'm sure that if the seller did some internet searching, and had contact with the people who hold and maintain records of the racing bodies and venues where his father competed, he might be able to pull-up some pics of that bike in competition, which is what's needed to gain value for the bike as a competition ride.

02GF74 wrote: "It needs someone like J Leno to be in the auction (sic) toom." Or someone from the Barber Museum.

I bet if someone offered him $45,000 he would think long and hard about that offer. Especially if no one's biting at his asking price. Someone who had the $ to purchase it at whatever price it sells-for, would probably start a lot lower on an offer than that, assuming that no-one is even tendering an offer. I think eighty grand is a 'pie in the sky' price on offer, I think the British call it. I bet Brian Slark of Barber Museum 2022 Grand Marshal | Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum is already in contact with the seller. The seller said he has many other bikes, and The Barber Museum might be able to buy some neat bikes with competition history.

Last edited:
I could care less for celebrity owners. It doesn't make the actual machine any better unless the thing is working and in exact same shape as documented from the celebrity. I know many rich people think otherwise. I don't care about them. If one wants to pay for fame, feel free. I won't.

Back