How the other half live!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I spent a bit of time scrolling through the 1st page of garages. I admire the deep pockets those homeowners have for their garages, their homes, and their car collections.

The thing that I would change? For any of those collections, there is one thing. I only saw what looked like sprinklers in the garages of possibly two sites,and I can't be certain they were there. If I had over $1 million in cars at my home, you better be sure I would have the d___building sprinklered. Anyone recall what happened to Reggie Jackson's collection of cars & bikes?

If you have enough to spend on these homes and these cars, you have enough to spend on a sprinkler system. For any of these garages, a garage sprinkler system would probably cost less than the daily driver auto these owners use. Great cars, great homes & garages, but protect your investments!

My favorite 'almost could afford those' cars was the one w/the BMW 1600/2002 (probably a tii) & the '701/2 Z28, the one which had the half-width blade bumpers. I couldn't really determine the marque of the sports/racing car inside the garage. I see the Ferrari flag on the wall. The car has some of the lines of a P3, but I don't think it is. It looks like a Porsche Carrera next door, and I can't afford either of those! You can barely see the (?) Shelby 500 to the right. Can't afford that either.

I remember going with my father to test drive a new 1967 BMW 1600 from a dealer in Honeoye Falls NY when I was a newly-licensed driver. We wrung it out around the same countryside we crossed in the fall to the Formula 1 race at Watkins Glen, and my father drove it in what would have been considered a 'spirited' fashion. It was a lot of fun, I can still remember how it handled around the rising, falling curved roadways without the wallowing, pitching motion common to the Detroit cars of the day. Since I read Car & Driver, Road & Track, and Motor Trend (with Car Life thrown in too, along with "Uncle" Tom MacCahill's Mechanix Illustrated), I was the one who urged my dad to look at the BMW when we were in the market for a new car, and surprisingly, one Saturday, he agreed, we went to the only BMW dealer I think in western NY state. It was a ride I'll never forget.

Hope none of these guys ever have a fuel system leak where the fumes travel laterally to the gas-fired water heater as a source of ignition.

Back then my wrestling coach in high school rode a Bultaco Metralla when the weather permitted, and the family which owned the Triumph/BSA/Norton/Bultaco dealership used to send their kids to school on a variety of their products, including the girls, one of whom rode a Shooting Star or a Victor! Their second-oldest was one of the first Americans to go to Europe where he was a factory sponsored Bultaco rider in the mid 1960's. When FX Bulto made his first trip to the USA, he stayed with them and my older brothers' schoolmate who raced for the marque in Europe went around the USA with Senor Bulto to the dealerships and distributorships. But no, it was not Jim Pomeroy.
http://www.bultaco.net/en/leyenda_bultaco01_06.asp

Back