How to: Adjust your needle position

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
I realize this is stupid easy for any experienced mechanic or rider, but the first time I went to make an adjustment, I'd never done anything with a CV style carb before, and couldn't find any resource here on how to actually do it. So here's a quick write up with some pictures I snagged last time I adjusted mine, trying to dial in the stage 1 kit. These were from a phone camera in a poorly lit garage, so excuse the less than perfect quality.

Adjusting your needles is a good way to pinpoint your adjustments on the midrange of the bike, from around 3-6000 RPM or so. If you have problems focused in this area like bogging or hesitation, this is a good place to start.

I do these one carb at a time. So you have to repeat this process four times in all. Once you've done it a couple times, you can do all four in 15 minutes.

Start by removing both scoops, this makes the top two bolts much easier to get at.

Remove diaphragm cover. The bolts on mine took a 4mm hex key. I believe stock bikes have one anti-tamper screw, which you might have to vise-grip off if you don't have a bit for it. As you loosen the last bolt on the cover, hold it in place with a finger. There's a big spring behind it and a little bit of tension.

As you remove the cover, hold one hand like a cup underneath it. This is to catch the o-ring in case it falls out. On my bike none of them have ever fallen out, but on my Yamaha snowmobile they always fall out, so it's kind of hit and miss. If you re-assemble without the o-ring you'll have all sorts of problems, so take care not to lose it.

After the cover is removed, this is what you'll see. Note the o-ring is still in place here on the carb body.

Pull the spring out and set aside.

Remove the diaphragm/slide assembly from the carb. DO NOT pull on the diaphragm. Stick a finger inside the slide, gently lift up, then pull the slide out. You may have to gently peel the diaphragm away from it's seat if it's been in there a long time. Once the diaphragm is free, pull it straight out. The jet you can see that lives behind the diaphragm is the Pilot Air Jet #2, or PAJ2. This also has a strong influence on the midrange, but also has an effect on both idle and high speed. It's an air jet, so smaller jet= less air= richer, and vice versa.
0828102009-1.jpg

Now the slide is out, look inside. Again, avoid touching the diaphragm at all, hold it by the plastic body. You'll see a big plastic screw, like this. Remove it.

Now that the screw is loose, cup your hand, and "dump" the contents of the slide into it. You'll get the needle/spacer/clip, a washer, a spring, and the plastic screw. This illustrates how they go back together.
0828102010-1.jpg

Grab the needle and slide the plastic spacer off it, leaving just the clip. Here's the only slightly tricky part of this operation...using a poor method to remove or reinstall the c-clip results it it rocketing off across the work area never to be seen again. This happened using needle nose pliers(after 20 min I found the clip). I now use a pair of channel locks to firmly grip the c-clip, then pull the needle straight out so as not to bend the clip. Then push the needle back into the clip on your desired position. Closer to the pointy end= richer midrange. Closer to the flat end= leaner. One clip can make a big difference, so when trying to tune something in, move only one clip at a time.

After the clip is where you want it, slide the plastic spacer back on, with the pointy "nub" on the spacer pointing the same way as the needle (as shown in picture). Slide it all the way up so it's flush against the clip, give it a little twist to make sure it's fully seated. Now grab the slide/diaphragm, and drop the needle into the center. Once it's in, give it a little shake and the needle should drop through the hole. Hold the slide steady, and rotate/gently pull down on the needle until you feel the nub on the spacer drop into it's hole. Now grab the washer, and drop it into the center also. More often than not it lands perfectly on top of the clip. If not, give it a little shake until it seats itself. Now drop the spring on top of it. Finally, drop the plastic screw in there. Guide it into place using your screwdriver and put it back in.

I spray a little light oil (WD40 or something similar) on the side for the re-install. Again, put your finger in the middle, and slide it straight back into the carb. Once it's almost in, make sure the detent in the carb lines up with the nub on the diaphragm, like this:

Lightly press the diaphragm back into it's seat, the put the spring back in. Ensure the o-ring is in place, and re-install the cover. There is a ring on the inside of the cover to hold the spring in place, make sure it goes inside the spring.

That's it. Easy, right?

Last edited:
Note the tiny nipple on the small plastic needle retainer. It needs to face into the slide and into the tiny hole next to the needle hole. Pull down slightly as you turn the needle sticking through the slide and you'll feel it fall into place. Then you can put the nut into place.

Note the tiny nipple on the small plastic needle retainer. It needs to face into the slide and into the tiny hole next to the needle hole. Pull down slightly as you turn the needle sticking through the slide and you'll feel it fall into place. Then you can put the nut into place.
Might be a stupid question, BUT.....why do you need the plastic "tit"? The needle is round, and centers itself in the slide hole. Just wondering what would happen if you clipped it off. I am sure Yamaha put it there for a reason, but the thing is a PITA to line up, and always makes you second guess if you have it in correctly when reassembling.

Nice write up. I'll be interested to hear the answer to 06VMAXIMUS's question... ?

Might be a stupid question, BUT.....why do you need the plastic "tit"? The needle is round, and centers itself in the slide hole. Just wondering what would happen if you clipped it off. I am sure Yamaha put it there for a reason, but the thing is a PITA to line up, and always makes you second guess if you have it in correctly when reassembling.

The only reason I can think of is to keep the needle from spinning? I have seen carbs with nipples broken off and the assembly still works fine w/o them.

The thing to do to make sure the nipple is seated is just drop it in the slide and then gently pull the needle down while spinning the needle. You'll feel it drop into position.

Just a guess... could it be to ensure the needle is centered in relation to the piston so that it does not stick?

Thanks a lot RaWarrior! I appreciate the time you took to post this up as it gives me a bit more confidence to mess with it when I get my kerkers in. I'm digging your coated covers too, is that a hammered paint or what? Almost looks leathery.

The needle doesn't fit perfectly in the slide hole, so it could potentially move around a little bit relative to the radius of the slide. Rotating wouldn't matter, and there's nothing that would make the needle rotate anyway. The spacer fits snugly on the needle, and the spacer locks into the slide with the nub. The screw compresses the little spring when you put it in, which puts some tension on the spacer/nub, ensuring it won't wiggle at all.

I'm not sure where the CV covers came from. They were on the bike when I got it, but it does look a lot like like that "hammered" finish paint. Feels/sounds plasticky, but they're metal on the interior.:confused2:

I used to get various sizes from radio shack. Don't know if they still have them since all they carry is phones now.

The needle doesn't fit perfectly in the slide hole, so it could potentially move around a little bit relative to the radius of the slide. Rotating wouldn't matter, and there's nothing that would make the needle rotate anyway. The spacer fits snugly on the needle, and the spacer locks into the slide with the nub. The screw compresses the little spring when you put it in, which puts some tension on the spacer/nub, ensuring it won't wiggle at all.

I'm not sure where the CV covers came from. They were on the bike when I got it, but it does look a lot like like that "hammered" finish paint. Feels/sounds plasticky, but they're metal on the interior.:confused2:

i bet sean has some freshly p/c black ones if you're looking for a change!

Specops13 I was wondering if that needle that RAWarrior took a photo of is the same needle you said had to be shimmed when you installed your Mark's exhaust?

johnc1go: He's showing a Stage 1 Needle and mine are Stock but Yes, Mine are shimmed 0.028 on the 94 with Mark's. A/F is almost exactly 14:1 all the way up... they could be up to 0.038 to make it a twitch richer....

The needles need to be able to wiggle around some, otherwise they'll end up dragging in the hole they go into and the slide will stick. I put mine together wrong once and found this out the hard way....

This is definitely going to be helpful! Thank you for the tips, but do you know if I will I have to re-sync the carbs after this?

This is a cool post. Perhaps it will help me with my problem. I have an 06 vmax with a kerker 4-1 and stage 7 jet kit. it smells of gas when I run it and if I hold steady rpm's on the freeway then crack open the throttle it seems to hiccup first then go. Will these adjustments help my problem? and I need to do it to all 4 right? and have the clip in the same position on all 4? If thats the case I am confident I could do this myself and save myself the headache of taking it into a shop. ( I am no mechanic so excuse my ignorance )

might be a stupid question, but.....why do you need the plastic "tit"? The needle is round, and centers itself in the slide hole. Just wondering what would happen if you clipped it off. I am sure yamaha put it there for a reason, but the thing is a pita to line up, and always makes you second guess if you have it in correctly when reassembling.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back