How to get rid of flat spot on a rear tire?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06VMAXIMUS

Reaction score
My son got a 96 Kawi ZX7R last fall, and one of the things he complained about after riding it was the flat spot in the center of the rear tire. The guy he bought it from only rode it on the highway to work and back, with NO turns whatsoever. I told him he would just have to get use to it and wear it back in, but he said its so bad that it tosses him around when he goes into a corner. Anybody have any ideas on how to get rid of it? Its pretty bad, about 2&1/2 to 3 inches wide. I hate to replace the tires because they are bridgestone battleaxes, and are like new. Thoughts?

This is simple.....you replace it. Thats all you can do. Thats a dangerous tire to have on a bike like that.

Todd

i agree.

yea it sucks wasting the tire but its the safest bet. hate to see something happen bob...

^Yeah that's what I was thinking too. My son said we should smoke the flat spot off of it, lol. Thanks for the replies.....guess I'm shopping for tires. Probably just get a new rear, but I see there are a pair of continental's for $160 shipped..Hmmmm wonder if they are any good?

What was the cause of this wear on the tire ?
Nothing but highway miles. Previous owner bought it for one reason: work transportation. I was hoping there was some magical way to shave it back true again, but kinda knew the answer was gonna be a new one. Looks like about $150 for another Bridgestone.

My vote is on massive burnout out to even out the tire all the way around :punk:

In all honesty replacement is the best option, safety is priority 1.

Mr. McNeil's frivolous suggestion would actually work, if you put the bike in gear, started it, and then let the tire rotate at idle speed. Then you would have to come up with a jig to keep the belt sander in a stationary position while it was running. The jig would have to be mirror-matched , in order to do both sides at the same angle and for uniform removal of the rubber.
I can see a business opportunity here!
Stand by for "Long's Chicken Strip Removal Device" - coming to a bike shop near you!:eusa_dance:

Michelin and the other leading rubber companies have 2 compound tyres.
Michelin also made 3 compound tyre. Im not sure how this translates into US market.

I use to complain on the "flat spot", then I bought my Michelin Pilot Power tyre...
I had forgotten what it felt like to have a flat spot.

You forgot step# 1...............

1. Burn it off til it splodes.
2. Replace.

Northeast hooligan style, Mike
biglaugh.gif

Back