How to install baffle?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi folks:

I too have a UFO 4-1 which is too effin' loud for my neighborhood. I can't ever get Jon @ UFO to respond to my questions re. mods to the end can, so I'm hoping someone out there can help me.

I bought 2 different pipe baffles from JC Whitney...a 1 3/4" inch and a
1 1/2". Sadly, I have no idea how to install them, and no instructions came with them.

So, my questions are:

1) Which of the 2 baffles will be quieter?
2) How do I install them? (Is there additional soft packing I stuff in between the outside of the baffle and the inside of the muffler itself?)

I apologize for my ignorance, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Elimax

You'll have to test fit them first with nothing more than the baffle to make sure one of them fits. Which ever one fits is the one you use. Bigger is louder in most cases so the 1.5" if it fits is your best bet.

If it slides in and fits you'll have to do some measuring and drilling. I would weld a couple nuts to the flanges on the baffle so that you can slide it in and thread a screw in from out side the can into the flange and hold it on. You'll want it to be tight so that it doesn't rattle. I would drill the holes on the bottom of the UFO tip so you can't see the bolts. Welding the nuts makes it easy to install and remove later. It will take some VERY good measurements to make sure you get everything lined up right.

When it's all ready to install you'll need to wrap some fiberglass or ceramic needle mat around the baffle and then slide in to place and install bolts.

The ceramic needle mat lasts thousands and thousands of miles whereas the fiberglass will blow out pretty quickly but if you make the baffle like I say, it will come out easy enough for repacking...

I've never done this to a UFO system but with some work it should be doable if the baffle fits to start with.

Just take your time and be patient.

Chris

Thanks Chris!

So, where should I be able to purchase the ceramic needle mat you mentioned?

Thanks again.

Elimax

A yoshimura or M4 repack kit will come with it. Not sure who sells it separate but do a google search on packing...

Back