How to install Cobra Slash Cut Exhaust on a 1985-2005 V Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

assassinx1

Reaction score
Felt there wasn't a lot of good V Max content out there so I decided to start a video series on my Vmax. What do you guys think of the Cobra pipes?
This is my video walkthrough.

I've heard that but never noticed it on my bikes at all. Do you think it comes from the race world where HP is important?

assassinx1 said:
Do you think it comes from the race world where HP is important?

Good luck with your project.

Expecting the Cobras to even-equal the OEM system, well, let's just-say, that battle has been fought here time and time-again. The outcome is always the same. Try a search function for Cobra 4-into-4's posts on the forum and you are in for an education.

To answer your question, no, it comes from the area of fluid dynamics, harmonics, and general physics.

(69) Difference between aftermarket exhausts | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

(69) What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2 | Page 575 | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

(69) Cobra Exhaust Tuning Recommendation. | Page 4 | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

A quote from Sean Morley, at the last link, about Cobras killing your OEM powerband:
I'm the one making the claim and it's from the various dyno's of these bikes with many configurations of exhaust and intakes. That's how we developed our jet kit was over many different testing stages. The only bikes ever to dyno under 100 rwhp all had the Cobra systems in place. (emphasis of the thread compiler) All of our dyno testing was always done at the same facility.

Why don't you see if you can find anyone (besides the company trying to sell their cobra's) who actually has numbers greater then 110.

That should help your research. "Follow the science."

I believe that its come from people on this forum that have dyno'd before and after. Now that being said, will 10 hp make that much of a difference, probably not, but if your out running other Vmaxxers, yes 10 hp does.

I had Cobra's on mine for a while, I thought they looked and sounded great I did not think I'd miss the loss of a few HPs. After about a year I got rid of them and replaced them with delkevic slip-ons , I did not realize how the cobra's changed the feel of the vboost kicking in. I'll never go back to the cobras. Just my 2 cents.

When it's your bike, you get to do whatever you want. If it's appearance you value most, then the Cobras look great. The bike is a muscle cruiser so my tastes run more-towards performance, and I like the OEM megaphones in the appearance dept. and their flow characteristics work-well with the VBoost. I like the 'hit' of VBoost. I've ridden two acquaintances' Cobra-equipped bikes, and the throttle response and the lack of VBoost 'hit' comparable to the OEM exhaust was a significant disappointment.

Latest posts

Back