how to install Progressive springs in an late model vmax ( 06 ) ??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srx2002

Reaction score
anyone know where there's a write up on this on how to do it correctly?
or maybee give me a " walk through " on how to do this?

A combination of the service manual and the instructions that come with the springs and emulators should be more than enough to get you there. Don't be scared, it's easy and more than likely you don't need the special tool to remove the lower legs.

I used an impact on the lower nut and had my wife hold a closet dowel rod shoved up inside the fork to hold the inside piece from spinning.

Do them one at a time and lay everything out in order as you take it a apart.

Rusty

BTW I went to the dealer today and they said they can no longer get the holder and T handle specified in the service manual.

But....they can do it for $60 and hour!

BTW I went to the dealer today and they said they can no longer get the holder and T handle specified in the service manual.

my response:

what did the 5 fingers say to the face??

SMACK!

The "holder" is just an Allen head wrench that you can make yourself. The pre 93 forks (40 mm forks) use a 24 mm size head. You can make one out a bolt with a 24 mm head and weld it or attach it to a piece of rod about 3 feet long. I made my own when I threw in the emulators and springs. I don't have the specs handy for the forks for the 93 and up, but I'll post it when I find it.

Mine is a 98, and I am trying to find an allen rench or socket to put into the bolt on bottom. I don't have an impact wrench but can hopefully borrow one this weekend I can't find either a straitght allen wrench or allen socket in the size neighborhood at any local store. Welding a bolt together is not an option for me (no welder).

I will get a impact gun one way or another but still don't know where I am going to find a socket. I expecting to use the a broom handle to hold the dampner rod.

The fork maintenace did not seem this difficult when reading the service manual :bang head: .

24mm? I haven't seen any go that big yet. I will keep looking.

It's easier to make your own. Go to a hardware store and find a bolt with a 24 mm head. Get about 3 or 4 feet of threaded rod the same thread size as the bolt and pick up a threaded coupling that matches. Put the bolt in one end of the coupling and the threaded rod in the other and you have the tool need to hold bolt in the bottom of our fork. I made mine that way.

ummm... I was under the impression from the dealer I purchased the progressive springs from was that for installation:

1: raise bike on centerstand ( take weight from front wheel. )
2: Remove air from fork
3: Remove large nut from top of fork ( hold down while removing, careful some pressure )
4: slide in new spring with washer
5: re-install large nut and torque to spec

you guys must be talking about doing the racetech and emulators..are you?

ummm... I was under the impression from the dealer I purchased the progressive springs from was that for installation:

1: raise bike on centerstand ( take weight from front wheel. )
2: Remove air from fork
3: Remove large nut from top of fork ( hold down while removing, careful some pressure )
4: slide in new spring with washer
5: re-install large nut and torque to spec

you guys must be talking about doing the racetech and emulators..are you?

Sorry, my bad, I was referring to the installation of emulators. Your directions above are correct for just the spring.

Yeah, just doing the springs should super simple.....

I am not doing emulators but have leaky seals so I want to fix everything before putting it back together.

I am just installing progressive springs, new oil seals and 20 wt oil. Hopefully I won't regret the descision.

I guess I can start playing around with different nuts and rods to find the size that works......

Back