How to measure float height on the bench?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye

Reaction score
I adjusted the float height on my '06 last summer - was way too high - using the bench method and measuring on the inside of the housing, but I'd like to check the actual fuel level. I tried to do this with the carbs on the bike but had no luck getting a consistent measurement.

So, how do you guys do it? Does a gravity feed fuel supply make enough pressure to produce an accurate reading? Also, what do you use to measure? I'm assuming a clear plastic tube with some gradations marked on it to compare against the marker on the side of the carb?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure bike is level or on center stand. Use clear hose and attach to drain tubes. Mark 17 mm from other end. Now, open drain screw and cycle key on and off to keep carb bowls full. Ensure no bubbles within the tube. That's it!

Would that be better than doing it on the bench with a gravity-feed fuel supply?

I do both. I bench set 'em with a digitial caliper so that all four are 1.125 inches. Then, bench test the wet levels with external gravity fed tank that I got from Motion Pro.

+1 I do both also, it's a lot easier to make small adjustments when the carbs are on the bench, then double check on the bike before buttoning everything up.

Be sure your fuel reservoir is elevated high enough to apply a little head pressure on the fuel to insure the float is forced to the highest point....I use 3" pvc about a foot long with a petcock tapped into the top cap and a small hose to blow in....

think these fuel pumps operate at just under 5 psi

+1 I do both also, it's a lot easier to make small adjustments when the carbs are on the bench, then double check on the bike before buttoning everything up.

Be sure your fuel reservoir is elevated high enough to apply a little head pressure on the fuel to insure the float is forced to the highest point....I use 3" pvc about a foot long with a petcock tapped into the top cap and a small hose to blow in....

think these fuel pumps operate at just under 5 psi
i " DANNY " , I HAVE TO DO THE SAME THING WITH MY WIFE , ELEVATE HER ENOUGH TO APPLY , .......................... " JUST " THE RIGHT " HEAD PRESSURE " ! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

That makes sense. The reason I wanted to check the wet level on the bench was just that - it's way easier to make corrections! 5PSI gives me an idea of what kind of presure I need. Thanks again.

Back