How To: Recondition the Clutch-side Switch Pod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaneer

Reaction score
So I guess it was inevitable that I'd be writing this one up :rofl_200:. But in trying to hunt down the gremlin that's screwing with my taillight mod, I desperately cracked the switch pod apart hoping to find the critter lurking in there. Sad to say, it wasn't, :damn angry: but not a total loss--I've got a very clean switch pod now :wacko:.

So as always first things first, a parts list:

• your favorite Service Manual
  • Electrical parts cleaner of your preference (e.g., CRC Lectra-Motive)
  • Liquid lubricant of your preference (e.g., WD40)
  • Non-liquid lubricant of your preference (e.g., grease)
  • Pencil eraser

Pod Disassembly

1) back out the two screws on the bottom of the switch pod and crack it open.

Bottom Shell Component Disassembly
2) you will be met with a translucent plastic dust cover. back out the screw pointed at by the red arrow shown in the following image and remove the cover
PB050051.jpg

3) back out screw holding down the turn signal actuating armature (red arrow) and the cable strain relief plate (green arrow). remove both the armature and relief plate

PB050053.jpg

4) back out the two screws pointed at by the green arrows in the following image
and lift out the little white plastic piece that holds the turn signal actuating armature's "OFF" spring (underneath the right green arrow). wish i knew of a better name to call it, but whatever it is, clean it up using some electrical parts cleaner.
PB050054.jpgPB050105.jpg

5) lift the turn signal switch, which is located at the top of the pod in the following photo (pointed at by red down arrow) and push the horn switch out of its hold (bottom of pod in following photo and pointed at by the red angled arrow)

PB050055.jpg

Horn Switch Reconditioning

6) disassemble the horn switch by carefully pulling the sides apart as shown in the following image (red arrows) and lifting off the lid
PB050056.jpg

7) carefully lift the horn switch button off its pivot post so as to not loose the small ball bearing (located underneath the button in the general area pointed at by the red arrow) and the spring (green arrow).

PB050057.jpg

8) pull out the contact plate (orange arrow of step 7 image, and orange square in the following image), squirt some of electrical parts cleaner on it, and shine it up good

PB050058.jpg

9) turn the button over and using some of the electrical parts cleaner, clean the parts pointed at by the orange arrow in the following pic

PB050059.jpg

10) lube the bearing's hole with whatever you prefer--a small dab of grease or a shot of wd40, for example. the following pic shows the dab of grease before i wiped off--don't need much, just a film of grease is sufficient. I also ended up lubricating the button pivot post as well, both the top and bottom of the housing

PB050061.jpgPB050064.jpg

11) clean up the button spring and reassemble the horn switch

PB050063.jpgPB050057.jpg

Turn Signal Switch Reconditioning

12) disassemble the turn signal switch by carefully pulling out the sides of the housing (green arrows in the following image) to free up the contact plate's securing tabs (red arrows)
PB050091.jpg

13) using a pencil eraser, clean up the contact pads until bright and shiny

PB050094.jpgPB050096.jpg

14) liberally shoot some electrical parts cleaner into the sliding contact housing and let dry. The following images are of the top and bottom of the housing. If you want a more thorough cleaning push the contact plate out by pushing on the two metal tabs adjacent to the ball bearing on the bottom of the housing
PB050099.jpgPB050101.jpg

15) lube up the bottom of the turn signal switch housing and reassemble
PB050100.jpg

16) clean up the grounding plate

PB050104.jpg

17) clean and lube up the turn signal actuating armature. (ya i know it's a lot of grease. it was for the benefit of the example. after taking the pic, I wiped off the extra leaving a thin film of the stuff)

PB050108.jpg

Bottom Shell Component Reassembly
18) reassemble the bottom shell of the switch pod (reverse of disassembly)

Last edited:
Top Shell Component Disassembly
19) Back out the two screws from the top shell that hold the cable strain relief plate and the headlight beam select switch assembly (orange arrows in the following pic)
PB050067.jpg

Headlight Beam Select Switch Reconditioning
20) Disassemble the headlight beam select switch, by gently pulling on the sides of the housing (orange arrows) to free the contact plate's mounting tabs (green arrows)
PB050068.jpg

21) Using a pencil eraser, rub the contact pads until bright and shiny. You could also squirt some electrical parts cleaner on the pads if you want.

PB050071.jpgPB050075.jpg

22) remove the beam select button from off of its pivot post.

PB050078.jpgPB050081.jpg

23) using a pencil eraser, rub the button's contact plate until shiny.
PB050084.jpg

24) turn the button over and push the contact out of it by pushing on the two tabs on both sides of the ball bearing. this will allow the ball bearing and it's tension spring to be removed for a more thorough cleaning. otherwise, you can probably get away with just shooting some electrical parts cleaner into the ball chamber.
PB050085.jpg

25) reassemble the beam select switch
(reassembly is the reverse of disassembly)

Top Shell Component Resassembly
26) reassemble the top shell components (
reassembly is the reverse of disassembly)

Pod Reassembly
27) Perform continuity and function checks per Service Manual
28) Place the two shells back together on your handlebar and screw shut

Last edited:
Wonder if this is why my turn signals suck so much, like they sometimes blink fine, and sometimes blink more or less randomly. Well, if I dive into it I'll certainly be well prepared now.:clapping:

Impressive man. Sticky already?
I look fwd to see the brake side. I'm still shy opening it. I have to look at the start button soon or later lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Back