How To: Recondition the Electrical Components of the Throttle-side Switch Housing Pod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaneer

Reaction score
So the inspiration behind this write-up comes from an incident in which I found myself pushing my bike a half-mile to the gas station because my Reserve Switch could not make the necessary connection that re-energizes the fuel pump relay, essentially disconnecting the fuel pump from the battery. Another bit of motivation was that darn sticky start button that even with some WD40 would still keep the headlight disconnected from the battery.

I initially wanted to document a process that covered the reconditioning of the components as well as continuity checks. However, this proved impossible due to the limitation on the number of attachments one can place in a single post. As such, I refer you to your preferred service manual that will get you to the point of accessing the fuel pump relay connector and the starter relay connector, so that you may perform continuity checks after the reconditioning.

I advise that you don't rely totally on my pictures as a reference during reassembly. Take pictures to record your own component placement and wire routing.

First things first, a parts list:

Click on each picture for an enlarged view
1) Because of the variety of handlebars out there, I leave it up to you to figure out how to slide the throttle-side switch housing off of the handlebar.

2) Once the throttle-side switch housing is off, back out the two screws that you more than likely had to loosen in order to slide the assembly off of the handlebar
Switch Housing Bottom.jpg

3) Remove the top of the housing and back out the screw that holds down the inner white dust cover in the bottom of the housing.
Inner White Dust Cover.jpg

4) Back out the screw that holds down the Fuel Reserve Switch Actuating Arm and remove the arm. Clean it up and shoot some liquid lube in the hinge.
Fuel Reserve Switch Actuating Arm.jpgFuel Reserve Switch Actuating Arm 2.jpg

5) Back out the screw that holds down the Wire Clamp (green arrow)
Switch Inside.jpg

6) Remove the Fuel Reserve Switch (yellow arrow) and gently pull the locking tab out to dislodge the black contact plate
Switch Inside.jpgFuel Reserve Switch 1.jpg

7) Using a pencil eraser rub off the corrosion on the contacts until bright and shiny, reassemble, and position the switch back in the housing.
NOTE: I forgot to take a picture of this, but there is a steel ball on the back of the switch--lube it up with a dab of grease.
Fuel Reserve Contact Bumps.jpgFuel Reserve Contact Plate 1.jpg

8) Remove the Starter Switch (red arrow, pic 1) and gently pull the locking tab out to dislodge the contact plate (red arrow, pic 2). BE VERY VERY CAREFUL TO NOT LOSE THE STEEL BALL AND SPRING UNDERNEATH THE BUTTON (red arrows, pic 3) AND NOTE HOW THE BUTTON SPRING IS MOUNTED (green arrow, pic 3)
Switch Inside.jpgStart Button 1.jpgStart Button 1.5.jpg

9) Using a pencil eraser rub off the corrosion from the contacts until bright and shiny. Grease up the underside of the start button, place a dab of grease on the steel ball, reassemble, and position the switch back in the housing.
Start Button 4.jpgStart Button 2.jpgStart Button 3.jpg

10) In the top of the switch housing, back out the screw holding down the Engine Stop Switch button and dislodge it from the housing by pushing the "OFF" side of the button.
Engine Kill Button 1.jpgEngine Kill Button 2.jpg

11) Pop the contact plate out by gently pulling on the locking tab and rub off the corrosion using the pencil eraser
Engine Kill Button 3.jpgEngine Kill Button 6.jpg

12) Clean and grease the ball and swivel post. Reassemble and position the assembly back in the switch housing.
Engine Kill Button 4.jpg

13) Perform continuity checks between the starter switch and the starter relay and between the fuel reserve switch and the fuel pump relay as outlined by your service manual.

14) Reassembly and installation are the reverse of disassembly and removal.

Last edited by a moderator:
nicely done i had to do this, this past winter and coulda used the writeup

Excellent write-up Ninjaneer. I'm sure I'll have to do this at some point in the future since these switch housings don't seem to keep dust & dirt out very well !

Great writeup with clear focused pictures! I'm sure this will save someone some cash in the future when they run into problems with their switch, hell I might even attempt this repair now!:punk:

Latest posts

Back