How To: Recondition the Ignition Switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaneer

Reaction score
So, the steps to do this have been living in a thread for a couple months now, but buried deep under a lot of posts. They have been referenced once to aid another member, but only because the notifier (alorio1) had been following the thread and knew where to go. Otherwise, I am not sure anybody would be able to find the steps. Encouraged by sateriel666, I present the following steps that use pics supplied by PATMAX when he, one2dmax, and CaptainKyle helped me realize that when the bike wouldn't start, I didn't have to buy a whole new ignition switch and anally re-key it so that I would only have to have one key. Thanks again to the all of these members--saved me beaucoup bucks.

Here's a pdf of this post to make things easier, courtesy of adi.barda: http://www.vmaxforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=25193&d=1322758495How To: Recondition the Ignition Switch

First things first, a parts list

• your favorite Service Manual
  • your favorite dielectric grease
  • your favorite dry lube
  • electrical contact cleaner
  • pencil eraser (or a rubber, for you who speak Britishanese :rofl_200:)
Perform the following steps to remove the ignition switch
1) Pop the lid
2) Remove the air box
3) Remove the right-side faux scoop
4) For some reason, I felt it was necessary to remove the coolant block off of its frame panel, so remove the screws indicated by the yellow screws.

Coolant Block.jpg

5) Remove the three screws that fasten the coolant block panel to the frame (green arrows)

Coolant Block.jpg

6) Displace the main coolant line from behind the #3 carburetor diaphragm cover. This will help create enough space between the coolant block panel and the ignition switch cover in the next step

Displaced coolant line.jpg

7) Remove the ignition switch cover by popping its left corner off of its mounting post and then coaxing it off over the ignition switch assembly

Ignition Switch Cover.jpg

8) Disconnect the ignition switch connector located underneath the instrument panel

ignition swith connector.jpg

9) Back out the two bolts holding the ignition switch assembly to the frame and remove the switch
ignition switch screws.jpgignition switch assembly.jpg

Perform the following steps to service the ignition switch
10) Bend back the metal wire stress relief

metal wire stress relief 1.jpg

metal wire stress relief 2.jpg

11) Back out the two screws holding the white housing cover to the mounting plate and displace the main housing.

housing cover.jpg

cover and mounting plate off.jpg

contact plate top.jpg

metal crimp.jpg

12) Displace the contact plate and using a pencil eraser, rub off the corrosion on the underside contact points indicated by the yellow arrows.

displaced contact plate.jpg

13) Take note of how the white contact armature is seated. It really shouldn't matter if it is reassembled 180-degrees from its original arrangement, but for me the switch didn't pass continuity checks unless it was lined up as I had found it.

contact armature.jpg

14) Remove the white contact armature and the metal ring underneath it. The white plastic armature is index-fit over the grey metal shaft. Clean up the armature's copper tabs (green arrows) with a pencil eraser. The metal ring with indents are what you feel when you turn your key to the different positions. Take notice of the keyway cutouts on the outside of this ring. They match and slide down the molded tabs on the inside of the ignition housing itself.

metal ring displaced.jpg

15) Backing out the second set of philips screws frees up a hold down plate. It has the same keyways around it's outside and holds the grey metal center shaft. Lift out the shaft and expose the tension spring. Lube tumblers with dry lube only--never grease or oil. You could disassemble further by removing the copper snap ring, but it unnecessary.

lock cylinder access.jpg

16) Clean all components with electrical contact cleaner and lube areas that slide against each other with dielectric grease.

disassembled switch ignition.jpg

17) Reassembly and installation are the reverse of disassembly and removal. Plug harness in to test BEFORE buttoning up the assembly.

Good luck and in the words of PATMAX, "You just saved yourself $250 bucks the stealership charges just to R&R this part!"

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Another GREAT write-up with pics Ninjaneer. You truly are living up to your Award of Posting Excellence (APE) honor for these contributions to this site.
Thank you ! :clapping:

Another great write up...have to keep this in mind if mine ever starts acting up.

On mine one of the armiture copper tabs (which are spring loaded) was sticking in it's holder. I was able to free it up and so far the switch is working fine again.

Very good write up and pics
Thanks so much.....

Excellent tutorial! I found it easier to read and use as a word document so I converted & upload it for you to use.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Maintaining ignition Switch.pdf
    809.7 KB · Views: 162
Great write up, big help to anyone in this situation. I hope Adi sees this, it may save him a lot of $$ in shipping to Israel.
Thanks,
Steve

Interesting. I took mine apart a while ago, not as extensively as this, and cleaned everything. Now months later the switch is causing the bike to turn off cause of play/slop in the switch. As I'm sure you know the damn switch at the stealership is over $100. I've searched extensively, and have not been able to find a reasonably priced switch. What a pisser!!!!

Take it apart again - do as explained in the tutorial. It's not hard at all. Check the white plastic component inside, ensure that the springs attached to it on both sides works flawlessly. It worked for me. I bought recently a new switch for 75$ it didn't ship it yet and if you really really need it I'll give it to you for the same price.

if your looking to replace the bugger with something new or used? hit up one2dmax or captainkyle. either these two or someone else'll have something. eBay's got some cheapy used ones, too.

{edit} hehehe. looks like adi beat me to the punch. see? ask and ye shall receive. {/edit}

My 2002 V-Max ignition switch failed on the way home from a dealer servicing back in 2004. The dealer towed it back and the tech told me he performed this same procedure. Well, it just started happening again this week. If I play with it, it ends up working but I know it'll strand me somewhere if I push my luck. Neither the factory manual or my aftermarket manual detail this procedure, they only describe R&R. But for those who may have to replace the switch with a new one, check out this link before ordering an OEM replacement from a Yamaha dealership, the prices are the best I've found, much cheaper than a dealer.

http://www.metricpartsoutlet.com/

Thank you so much, ninjaneer!

This tutorial made my process SO much easier, I probably saved a couple hours.

I noticed my ignition switch getting finicky with positioning, finally become a "Turn the Key Roulette" routine. I had to try 10, maybe 15 times before I could locate the 'sweet' spot that would give me power. Finally it got bad enough that I had to ride home from work afraid yesterday of bumps that might move the switch and cause the bike to lose power.

Having already started doing the research, I printed out the .pdf file (a million thanks adi.barda!!) and started my teardown. I've pulled apart a motor before, so I knew I could handle this, but the guide made it easy and quick.

My day job is IT support for a company of 200 employees, and when not 'putting out fires', I document fixes and processes, so I really appreciate your layout. It's exactly like I would have done.

Now if someone would create a guide on how to fix my cashflow problem - it seems I have none for all the mods my monkey is screaming about!:eusa_dance:

My contact points are different to yours, 3 points on either side with only 2 wires going to one of those sides

Besides that, this write up is the only reason I opened it up for cleaning
I went a few steps further and took the barrel out to get all the crud around the pins and grease everything. putting it back in was a bit more difficult until I noticed an access hole in the side that made getting the barrel in simple

Now if someone would create a guide on how to fix my cashflow problem - it seems I have none for all the mods my monkey is screaming about!:eusa_dance:
I used to have all the cash in the world I needed when I was working but never had any time to enjoy the things that I have. Now I have all the time in the world I need and no cash for the things that what. It is funny. It seems it is Time and Money that never equal out for me. I am thankful to have what I have and blessed to be on this side of the dirt.

I used to have all the cash in the world I needed when I was working but never had any time to enjoy the things that I have. Now I have all the time in the world I need and no cash for the things that what. It is funny. It seems it is Time and Money that never equal out for me. I am thankful to have what I have and blessed to be on this side of the dirt.

Time is money - you either have one or the other

Latest posts

Back