How to remove the center stand on the 1985-2005 Vmax With POV ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

assassinx1

Reaction score
Took some time to edit this footage. Sorry I could not get it posted up sooner. Was able to get some great POV view and exhaust sound this time around. Also showed how to remove the center stand.

The Cobras are, in my humble opinion, the absolute best looking pipes for a Vmax.

Unfortunately, they're absolutely awful from a performance standpoint.

That was a very nifty trick getting the center stand out like that. I don't think you'd ever pull it off though with the factory exhaust.

Overall though, good video! Really nice looking bike you have there as well.

Also, how do you like the Corbin seat? I've heard conflicting reviews on it.

Sorry, you lost me at (the Cobra 4-into-4 exhaust) "picked-up a lot-more power, and it seems to run-better" at 2:54. Unless his last exhaust was made of chain-link fence tubing and stacked #5 tomato cans. Show us what came-off.

The Cobra sounds OK and it looks good, but I can't stomach the loss of horsepower.

The video guy, whom I assume to be Assassin1 does sound sincere, and his intent to get more good VMax youtube videos out is appreciated.

A suggestion: now that you removed the centerstand, install a UFO 4/1 or the Kerker 4/1 and a Stage 7 (not a Stage 1!) Dynojet kit, or Morley's Muscle, with dyno time before/after, to show the difference between the Cobra 4-into-4 and the UFO or Kerker 4/1's. The Kerker 4/1 requires removal of the centerstand loop on one side, and maybe a slight bend on the other, while the UFO 4/1 will install with just a centerstand removal, and you can actually re-install the centerstand for servicing, if you wish, but you cannot ride the bike with it.

Parminio: I like my Corbin.

Last edited:
The Cobras are, in my humble opinion, the absolute best looking pipes for a Vmax.

Unfortunately, they're absolutely awful from a performance standpoint.

That was a very nifty trick getting the center stand out like that. I don't think you'd ever pull it off though with the factory exhaust.

Overall though, good video! Really nice looking bike you have there as well.

Also, how do you like the Corbin seat? I've heard conflicting reviews on it.
You're right. I swapped center stands the other day and yes, I had to remove the exhaust. Made things much easier for the R and R.

install a UFO 4/1

I've been on the fence about their black 4 into 1. I know that UFO was a quality brand back when Jon was still around, but I've heard a couple people mention that the quality just isn't what it used to be.

Any knowledge to that end?

I suspect there isn't much difference, Mike Lees was with Jon Cornell so I'm sure that whatever fabrication was being done, is still probably being done in the same way, but I really don't know that as fact.

I've been on the fence about their black 4 into 1. I know that UFO was a quality brand back when Jon was still around, but I've heard a couple people mention that the quality just isn't what it used to be.

Any knowledge to that end?
I have put on several sets from Mike & UFO on customers bikes & I really did not see any difference in quality and Mike is way better to deal with than Jon was .

Old thread, but was useful to me. Just joined up to share my experience. Stock 01, putting on cobras, do centerstand First!. Get a lift or jack so bike can be upright. I ran into where centerstand bolt wouldnt push out cuz some hinge piece. Pop the big spring, would have saved me big time
Then mess with removing orig exhaust.
Will post finished project here later if anybody interested

Earlier posts in this thread:
Have you read about the loss of performance the Cobras cost you? We're talking 10+ horsepower, probably equal to 10% loss of power. Then again, if you like the looks and don't mind having much-less than stock horsepower, your choice. Don't bother with a Dynojet Stage 1 carburetor kit to 'tune' the engine. That set is very problematic to tune and will only worsen your power loss.

One search found this: (106) Cobras? Are they really that bad? | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

On the center stand trick, yea didnt quite work on stock but made due.
Looking to get a rear stand to replace stand if anybody has a recomendation. Liked to keep it level over winter etc when not riding a bunch. Thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back