How to replace front plug wires?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Reaction score
Yesterday I started to replace the old cracked plug wires in hopes of resolving a mid-range roughness. I got the back two easily (and they were bad!), but after pulling the right scoop I decided to come ask for help.

What do I need to pull in order to access the front of the coils so I can replace the two front wires?

Thank you in advance!

changing the plug wires on the front cylinders are not as easy as the back ones. First on the throttle side of the bike remove the cover holding the key switch on the bike off. also unbolt the plumbing where the coolant cap is under the scoop. Once these are done you should be able to see the coil. Note the coil for number 2 cylinder is on the throttle side. Number 4 coil is on the clutch side. For the clutch side remove the scoop & the cover over the throttle cables. Also right under the scoop the v boost switch & other connections held on by 3 screws. Once this is removed you can see the other coil wire. This job is not easy but can be done.

It's GOT to be done. Old wires are cracked and corroded. I was hoping there was an "easy" way. HA!

Oh well, I have the scoops off, I'll dig in and get it done. I guess I will wire in my accessory plug while I am at it so I can run my GPS. Thank you for the reply!

Only do one wire at a time.....the coil on the left side, the wire runs to the right side of the engine, and the coil on the right, runs to the left side of the engine.

Some (very) long nosed pliers should help you get to the retaining collars.

A smear of silicon lube on the olive that goes on the end of the plug wire also helps when re-assembling.

I didn't have any trouble removing the front plug wires with just my hands,
I just reached in and un-screwed them.
But I have long, slim forearms and hands.

I remove the ignition tray the ignition box sits on. I also swap the front coils and run longer wires so that the outlet faces outboard if not already.

I got the left one. Someone must have changed the coil connections because left front goes to the left front coil. I don't think it's wrong, the bike runs fine aside from some roughness around 3 - 4K steady.

Now to try to get the throttle side. The coil is pointed to the center - it's gonna be "fun"

By the way, the "olive" (as you call it) is missing from one of the back wires. Would anyone who is going to Thunder in the Valley happen to have a spare they can sell me? Or I'll buy you a beer for it.

Thanks in advance!

Coil was not pointed toward the center after all, but it was a bitch to get at. Done, only about an hour total working on it. I feel like it should not have even taken 30 minutes, but at least I won't need to do it again for a while!

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Back