How to restore faded buttons

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
What is the best way to restore faded red buttons (OFF/RUN) on right hand and horn on left side. Instead of being red, mine have faded to a dull pink. I've yet to find replacements so is it possible to restore by rubbing away to top layer?

Not a big deal but would be nice to get it back to original condition

Probably the only way to make them look 'like-new' is to paint them. Disassembly would be the best way to do it, instead of masking tape, and in-place. You could also use a scrap of 3M Dinoc tape, cut to-size for the wide, flat area, or for an eye-pop, use some adhesive tape, the kind that comes-in reflective, high-visibility red. Just cut it to-size and put it on the shallow-V part you see, and don't-worry about the narrow sides.

I have never tried this but it is something I read about once on an old motorcycle forum concerning plastic fuel tanks on dirt bikes, they also fade and look 'nasty' with age, particularly the red Honda tanks,
apparently the surface is breaking down due to the sun's uv rays and it makes the surface rough, what they did to restore the plastic was to use a heat gun, they heated over the surface until the surface shined again, which is basically lightly melting the very surface of the plastic, the pictures they showed looked very good,
it might work for you but probably best to practice it on a spare something or other first

I have never tried this but it is something I read about once on an old motorcycle forum concerning plastic fuel tanks on dirt bikes, they also fade and look 'nasty' with age, particularly the red Honda tanks,
apparently the surface is breaking down due to the sun's uv rays and it makes the surface rough, what they did to restore the plastic was to use a heat gun, they heated over the surface until the surface shined again, which is basically lightly melting the very surface of the plastic, the pictures they showed looked very good,
it might work for you but probably best to practice it on a spare something or other first

I would caution going this route, I've heard it doesn't last ling and it makes the plastic brittle. That might all depend on the type of plastic it is as well.

not heard of the heating trick but not keen on trying that.
I think the only solution is replacement, with everyone having 3D printers, maybe somebody out there would have made some spares - judging by the state of the switch gear being sold on ebay, it is a common problem.

Might have to try it on some old worn out housings I think I have around here

A quick search shows the following Yamaha models have similar shaped buttons: note that some have HORN (as per Vmax) stamped whereas others have a horn logo.
XV535
FZR 600
FZR 400
XJ 900
YP 250

If the buttons are identical shape, then that increases the pool size to pick from plus they tend to be cheaper than Vamx, I guess people think we are all millionaires....:confused:

Buttons can be buffed with cotton wheel and finest compound but come out shinier than factory. I thought you were talking about the black housing that lose their script. I think Sean M mentioned he may have the lettering. Does that ring a bell Sean ?

It's the UV in sun light that degrades the surface, and yes, by removing the top layer should eventually reach undamaged plastic below. You won't know haw deep it goes until you start the polishing.

Toothpaste, not the gel type, works as a fine abrasive but I do have finer polishing compound.

To do a proper job requires the switch to be dissambled to avoid get paste into the switch but that would be a job for later.

As an aside, any body taken one of these apart, my fear is there will be springs that ping off never to be seen again.

As far as the black goes, the original wipe new works great. I read they may have changed the formula to a thicker version. If that's true it's sad. The original is awesome. And S100 Engine Brightener is amazing. I've used it on every part of the bike, frame parts and others. You might try that. Holds up for a long time.

This does work well on fenders, kayaks etc anything made from polyethylene. Button are usually from a harder mix so they dont wear as much. You can use a little heat and steel wool though to get a resurface. UV only penetrates so far but that should work. By heat i mean just leave in the sun a while.

Latest posts

Back