How to set suspension

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kemical

Reaction score
Just received my 2018 and need know at what settings my suspension should be. I weigh 170 lb and ride solo on long commute. I need a comfy ride due to lower back issues.

I’ve watched a few vids on the subject but I’m still confused. The rebound seems to be what need to be gotten right. So where does that leave the compression?!

Please advise me gents.

There isn't a 'magic' setting that will suit all riders. What you end up with will depend on your weight, the way you ride the bike and the feedback you prefer.
All settings need to be considered; one is NOT more important than the other.
When making any changes only alter one thing at a time so that you can assess what difference that adjustment has made. Once you are happy move on to the next setting.

Have a look at this from Racetech which describes the method for setting the static sag which, IMO, is the one to concentrate on first.

If the bike feels too firm increase the sag; too soft reduce it. Note that you may need to go in different directions front and rear.

Next go for the compression settings, then the rebound.
This describes in straightforward language the logical steps you should adopt.
Not that this is on an R1 but the basic principles are the same on a Max.

Back