How to tell what my new bike has for Mods

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Carafa

Reaction score
I just picked up a new to me 2016 and was wondering how do I know if it has a tune or not.Bike came with Vance and Hines cs1 exhaust.Bike seems to run great,smooth power and no backfiring.Would the bike run crappy if it didn’t have a tune? I haven’t seen if anything’s been done to the air box yet and not sure if the cats been removed.Anyone have pics of what the cats look like? Even though the bike runs great I’m worried I might do damage if It doesn’t have a tune already with the exhaust. I asked at a Yamaha dealer if there’s anyway to tell and they said there’s no way of doing so.I also have a dragon emblem on my clutch cover.Does this mean anything (like some type aftermarket part)? Any help is appreciated. I’ve got to say I’m loving the power of the Vmax.Makes some of my of my previous bikes seem slow (2 gen1 fz1’s,a gen2 fz1, and a zrx1100).

The cat (there is just one) is gone with the V&H installed.

You may have a Power Commander fuel controller installed, that is normally under the right side, side cover below the seat.

Or better yet, the ECU may be re-flashed. Easiest test for that is to see if you can run over 150 MPH because it removes the factory speed limiter. ;) Or you can get eyes on the ECU, if it's re-flashed by Gurued Gear it will have one of their stickers on it.

Definitely going forward don't pay any attention to what the dealer tells you....they obviously have no idea.

Congrats on the bike BTW. You are going to love it!

Thanks for the help Itgoes.I guess that’s one of the drawbacks of buying a used bike, not knowing what the previous owners have done.

Took the panels off and it did indeed have a Guru decal on air box and a K+N filter.I figured I’d clean the air filter while I had everything apart.I noticed that when I put the filter in the top leans outward away from the air box window.Does the top cover installed push the filter in when installed? Hate to think my engine is sucking dirt into it.Pretty psyched it has all the mods done though.

Took the panels off and it did indeed have a Guru decal on air box and a K+N filter.I figured I’d clean the air filter while I had everything apart.I noticed that when I put the filter in the top leans outward away from the air box window.Does the top cover installed push the filter in when installed? Hate to think my engine is sucking dirt into it.Pretty psyched it has all the mods done though.

My air box was the same way when I modified it. Seems like the filter will seal once the top is pressed down and screwed back together.

Welcome to owning a Gen sir. Some helpful suggestions if you don't mind:

1) Call Tim and give him the ECU serial number. I believe he tracks that and might be abel to tell you about the sales order. It's very likely you also have the double diaphram clutch mod, as he's a big fan.

2) Just go buy a few K&N oil filters on amazon now. They're cheap enough if you don't have to buy that at Napa, they easily clear the "are they good enough" bar, and they have a removal nut welded on helps things along. You might as well guy a few oil drain plug crush washers while you're at it.

3) Save yourself the oil research efforts and use Rotella T-6.

4) Go check out the mirror thread active now for my $15 dollar solutions. It will change the way you enjoy the bike.

All the best!
d

Latest posts

Back