How To: Update older model shift segment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The segment and clutch are two completely different items and they won't even have a clue that the segment can even be updated. I see you have a 2000 listed so it's got the newer segment anyway.

I'm also sure they didn't do the DD Clutch mod unless you got someone really Vmax.

hi all, am just about to install new segment ,so far been easy job ,however what worries me is i havent been able to trace the old dowel that dropped out ,tried flushing it out ,and probing around with a magnet,i don't really no what else to do! is it possible the dowel could have been chewed up ?

I'm sure it's in there somewhere, but it probably dropped from the little alcove for the clutch down into the actual oil pan. I was lucky and found all the pins that had fallen out of mine in the little alcove so they were all accounted for.

I'd get a strong magnet and slide it around the oil pan, covering all of it(hoping to grab the pin through the pan), then slide it where you could get a pencil magnet down through the space at the clutch, see if you can fish it out. I also wouldn't be surprised it it's stuck to the oil drain plug's magnet....maybe get a catch pan and pull it? Just get a clean container and put the oil back in afterward if it's not time for a change yet.

just chg another segment, man it runs way better now, shifts smooth............

Last edited:
Just ordered all the parts above, because now and again when accelerating in 2nd (after a textbook shift) Max will rev and lurch twice as if it was slipping into gear after a bad shift.
I'm hoping it's something like old oil playing with the clutch or a bad shift segment but as I'm going to have the motor out in a week or two to put in solid mounts and a new shifter oil seal I thought I'd try this too

Thank you Youkon for the write up and the all the photo's. I was not sure if I could have done it so easily and as fast, under 3 hours, without the step by step photo's and comments. It looks as easy as the photo's show. I now have a new clutch and the updated shifter segment in place and the finding the gears is much better and clutch lever feels normal again. I had lost 2 of the pins with the older style neutral and 5th.

Hello I have a 98 vmax I put in the new shift segment while cycling through the gears the arm that rides on the star falls behind it.
any help please. Can I put a washer behind the arm? Or is something else wrong or missing?

Do you still have the pictures? If so, would you be willing to post them again on IMGUR or another site where you can link to them?

Pics are good, you'll need a browser ext. to view them now. Thanks to Photo Bucket. This all inspired me to do this upgrade today. The parts are sitting in a box next to my bike.

This is AWESOME news, also for the other forums I attend!:clapping::th_peace:

:party:

Latest posts

Back