VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which tank cover for most HP?

• Air inlet tank cover

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Louvered tank cover

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Leave it alone

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Traumahawk

Reaction score
After I tune Seans kit...after the rebuild from Danny, I was thinking about ways for HP increases. With Seans filter being just right under the Faux tank cover, I rembered tank covers from Boxenstopp.

There is 1 tank cover that is louvered, but then there is also 1 other one that has a functional air inlet scoop. What I like about that one, is that there is mesh covering the opening.

I have been caught in the rain, so I dont know how well the louvered one will work in those elements...so the air scoop one might work better, but I'm curious as to what others have to say. (there are some SHARP people on this forum)

Attachments

• Covers.jpg
    Covers.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 46
These scoops & top cover seem to work well together and would net you an easy 50HP with a turn of the key.
Vmax Gen II.jpg :biglaugh:

These scoops & top cover seem to work well together and would net you an easy 50HP with a turn of the key.
View attachment 47836 :biglaugh:

LOL...thats funny....its just more expensive.

I am now starting to look for an 05. I got an 85 frame from Sean, and gonna transfer everything from the 86 to it. After that....I will be looking at a Gen 2. (Well maybe a Gen 2 first....if I run across a deal like Dannymax did.)

View attachment 47836 :biglaugh:
It would also drain another 10 to 15K out of your bank and limit you to 100 miles (smiles) between fillups!:rofl_200:
I compromised and just shimmed my lid up 1/4" on the rear latch, a whole bunch cheaper!:punk:
I thought about the louvers as well but worried about the rain thing too. KJ Shover has the louvers, looks sweet and I've not heard of an issue from him with rain.
How about having louvers along the edge of the faux tank that would allow more air under the cover. I can't imagine you would need to add THAT much air to make the Vmax work properly?
Or air inlets like these:
mini cooper vents.jpg Buick style vents.jpg $T2eC16Z,!zcE9s4g3Je6BRy15(OYFg~~60_12.jpg

I think by available volume, the louvers might have more, but I also don't think you're going to magically suck in more air than you already are. The singe opening at the front would provide access to "cooler" air, though, if the flow was actually happening there. I'd do an aero test with your current lid like they do with airplane wings. Run a bunch of strips of tape with little threads spaced out in the spots where the holes are, and see where air is moving. It would be a great excuse to get a new GoPro for the documentation. I've got an extra lid at the house you could use for experimenting if you really wanted to.

I compromised and just shimmed my lid up 1/4" on the rear latch, a whole bunch cheaper!:punk:

Thats a good idea. I dyno'd the bike last time without the tank cover on one time, and I went from mid 12's A/F to well into the 15's and only lost 4 hp, so the engine can handle WAY more air. If it handles more air.....you can put more fuel to it.

Thats a good idea. I dyno'd the bike last time without the tank cover on one time, and I went from mid 12's A/F to well into the 15's and only lost 4 hp, so the engine can handle WAY more air. If it handles more air.....you can put more fuel to it.
Hmm, maybe it can handle a bunch more air!:clapping: Those mini cooper vents might flow enough?
Part of my thinking(?) is that having the venting on the side it would still let you use a tankbag.

I think by available volume, the louvers might have more, but I also don't think you're going to magically suck in more air than you already are. The singe opening at the front would provide access to "cooler" air, though, if the flow was actually happening there. I'd do an aero test with your current lid like they do with airplane wings. Run a bunch of strips of tape with little threads spaced out in the spots where the holes are, and see where air is moving. It would be a great excuse to get a new GoPro for the documentation. I've got an extra lid at the house you could use for experimenting if you really wanted to.

Well looking at the area between the instrument gauge, and the inlet opening, that should be an area of low pressure.

I wonder if I could do a fan.....and some smoke? I might be able to wrangle in the people at the dyno for this experiment?

I wonder if i could take a stock lid.....make a "ram air" on it.....and see if it would work, prior to spending the money? With some tin and duct tape....I might be able to make an approximation to the air inlet faux tank cover.

Maybe add a bit of a hump above the air filter to add some volume for all the incoming air...

That might make for an interesting test, shim up the latch and see where your A/F goes.

Eric I have an extra tank lid that is louvered sitting on my shelf waiting for me to start and finish my 85' your welcome to borrow if needed . Also about the rain I will look for a overpass and wait it out (I waited 4 and half hours one time with my first 85' ) or maybe have something custom made that can stretch over lid like a granny shower cap .

Maybe add a bit of a hump above the air filter to add some volume for all the incoming air...

That might make for an interesting test, shim up the latch and see where your A/F goes.

True, because lets face it....when you get on it with Seans kit....you can HEAR it suck in the air, and at the back of the tank.....should be low pressure as well.

drive it with no lid and some cardboard duct taped to the airbox to make the hump. See if it's different on your wideband. Try the same on the dyno with on of their extra fans on it. I think it would be fun to do the strings and tape thing. I did an award-winning science fair project with that stuff a long time ago. I love science!

Eric I have an extra tank lid that is louvered sitting on my shelf waiting for me to start and finish my 85' your welcome to borrow if needed . Also about the rain I will look for a overpass and wait it out (I waited 4 and half hours one time with my first 85' ) or maybe have something custom made that can stretch over lid like a granny shower cap .

I might have to take you up on that offer Jaime. The reason why I think about rain, is going to Topeka, and Eureka Springs, got caught in the rain both times. I came back the day before I had to leave for work, so didnt have a lot of time to spare.

drive it with no lid and some cardboard duct taped to the airbox to make the hump. See if it's different on your wideband. Try the same on the dyno with on of their extra fans on it. I think it would be fun to do the strings and tape thing. I did an award-winning science fair project with that stuff a long time ago. I love science!

True...Science is a blast, and lets face it science is the basis for HP increases.

Deep down inside I wish the vmax was born in america ... I know I will delete this just saying tho

I know...and actually if you read the history....it was.

http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/vmaxstory/custom.html

Says Mr. Araki: "There was one impressive scene I saw, when I visited the USA to study the market. It was a ' Bridge Race'. Each time two bikes bikes lined up and set off. They simply competed for acceleration speed for 400 meter. Young people were crazily enjoying the Zero 4 race (400- meter race). (Of course it was not an official name of the race but Yamaha R&D staff nicknamed it). They were using a bridge over the Mississippi River. They started from one end of the bridge, and the finish line was the opposite side. It was a simple rule. First concept I imagined from this impressive race was 'To make a bike, which is strong at straight lines and really fast.' It was the birth of the 'V-max' concept."

Latest posts

Back